Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Took a javeline

Old 08-10-2008, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Took a javeline

did a little hunting yeterday, hogs winded me and they bolted but 4 of these guys didnt. Made a perfect shot at 20 yds under the feeder, ( yes thats the way we roll in Texas )
Dropped on the spot.
Fred Bear TRX 32 100 gr Muzzy 4 blader.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:15 AM

Default RE: Took a javeline

Cool looking animal.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cool little critters. Isn't it spelled/pronounced Javelina also known as the Colored Peccary? Just asking for knowledge but they are not related to pigs at all are they? I know you referenced "hog". I've watched a few shows that reference bucks and does.

That's what's neat about alot of these states with so many mulitple animals. How does javelinas taste?
Old 08-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ya javelina or collared peccary. We say it, ( ha-va-lean )Thats actuall my best buds nick name, dude is as hairy as one and lives in the woods. I think javelina is more than one and javeline is just one
I was hog hunting but 4 of these peccary came in to feed so I took one. Not related to pigs at all, theyre actually a rodent I believe. As far as taste, they need a bit of finessing to get them good tasting, not something you just burn on the pit. Some are better tasting than others. Like the hogs I shoot, some are very tasty and some smell like urine when you cook them. Havent figured out why some are good and some are bad. I have had old male boars that were great and young piglets that werent and vice versa.
No closed season on the javelina but are classified as a game animal. Hogs here are not a game animal and no season on them or means and methods.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

zrexpilot,

Thanks for the clearification. I love the great state of PA however, I do envy ya'll that have so many different species and opportunities with the bow.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the beast! Sure is a nice one!

I'm with you Rob, sure wish we had more pigs running around here to hunt! I love being out there chasing critters, I guess that why I go after the Coyotes most of the year!
Old 08-10-2008, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh and by the way this pic
<----------------------
is a euro mount of a chupa cabra I took. NOT !
It is a combo I did, its a javelina bottom jaw on a spike deers upper half with the uppper teeth of the javelina glued in to the top half of the deer.
Hence my chup cabra.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Very nice bow kill,bet that was fun.Thats a cool looking light on that bow,is it home made or did you buy it.......
Old 08-10-2008, 10:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: OneMustFall

Thats a cool looking light on that bow,is it home made or did you buy it.......
I could be mistaken but isn't that light on the quad not the bow?
Old 08-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a Hawg light, thats the name of it, and well it's for hog hunting at night. Bought it at Cabelas. Has a micro switch right on the riser, when you draw back you use your index finger to turn it on. Comes with a clear, red and blue lens, runs on a single 9 volt batery and is very bright.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.