Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

shooting help

Old 08-09-2008, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default shooting help

I am shooting from my standhave noticed that my arrows hit lower then when shooting from the ground at the same yardage. I adjusted for the angle of my stand. Why is it off?
Old 08-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting help

It could be your form. Make sure you are bending at the waste when shooting down hill. If you are merely lowering your bow arm, it changes your form and the way you are looking through your sights. However, if you are shooting at longer ranges (30 yd+.) at extreme angles your arrowwill actually have less drop than shooting horizontal, but at closer ranges most bows are so fast you won't see a noticable difference.
Old 08-10-2008, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Wingbone

It could be your form. Make sure you are bending at the waste when shooting down hill. If you are merely lowering your bow arm, it changes your form and the way you are looking through your sights. However, if you are shooting at longer ranges (30 yd+.) at extreme angles your arrowwill actually have less drop than shooting horizontal, but at closer ranges most bows are so fast you won't see a noticable difference.
Well said, Wingbone. I hope we don't re-hash the angle/gravity/acceleration thing again. The search function should yield lots of debate on this subject.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:34 PM

also, you must remember that if you are shooting 20 yards on the ground it is not the same as from the tree. If the target is 20 yards from the base of your tree and you are 15 feet high you areactually shooting 25 yards.
Old 08-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

blackpowderfever, you still shoot the target as if it were 20yds...always shoot the distance from the base of the tree to the target...if using a range finder, range a tree at eye level with you in the stand that is the same distance as the target and that will give you the true yardage to shoot...

guys make this harder than it really is...shoot for the distance of the target from base of the tree...draw straight back parallell to the ground...hit your anchors, bend at the waist till your on target...let loose and your gunna drill it.

deerhunter...kudos for getting in the stand and actually trying to shoot from it...a little practice and youll work the bugs out...ive never had a lick of trouble...
Old 08-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well said Mauser! The key is make sure you bend at the waste!
Old 08-11-2008, 11:58 AM

mauser, the only reason i disagree is because of the angle you are shooting. once up in a tree the angle increases the distance= a low shot everytime. simple geometry. the hypotenuse is always a greater distance. the only time you do not adjust is when using a pendurilum sight.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: blackpowderfever

also, you must remember that if you are shooting 20 yards on the ground it is not the same as from the tree. If the target is 20 yards from the base of your tree and you are 15 feet high you areactually shooting 25 yards.
In this scenerio...my 20 yard pin would put the shot right on the money.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

blackpowderfever...WELCOME to MAUSER's geometry class....if you shoot a 20yd shot for 25 out of a tree stand you will never hit where you want unless its on accident!

A^2+B^2=C^2

in your scenero, A=15' stand (height)B=60' (20yds is 60 feet...3 feet in a yard...)

c^2=3825

square root of 3825 = 61.8465 feet

61.8465/3 = 20.6155

NOT 25....you will be over shooting by 4.4yds...

you WILL see more of a difference of impact by using your 25yd pin over your 20yd pin...

within normal bow hunting yardages and normal stand heights, your gunna be within a yard or 2 if you shoot for the distance from the base of the tree to the target.....

no way to argue or disagree...if your shooting 20yds for 25 from a stand and your hitting where you want, you need your bow and eyes checked out....

not picking on you...not being "mean" or anything...just simply informing and educating....hopefully this helps you....

if you dont believe it learn about it.... "pythagorean theorem" pretty straight forward stuff....

yep you got the right idea...but within normal bowhunting distances and stand heights, you always shoot for the the yardage from the base of the tree to the target...bend at the waist, float your pin, release, follow through...get down...follow the red bubbly path to your trophy....