Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Regret?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Regret?

I was wondering if anyone else has ever regretted killing a certain deer, and why? Last year onOct 10,right at dark I saw this buck approach, and I thought his tines were much longer than they were, so I shot him.He ran maybe 20 yrds into the thicket and died. I waited maybe 15 mins then went and found him. It was a perfect double lunger, I was happy with that, but I wasn't happy with the size of his rack. I thought he was a good bit bigger than he really was![:@]
As soon as I saw him I said to myself, this is what you just gave up your whole Pabuck season/tag for. Honestly, I was mad as hell at myself for shooting this buck! It was only Oct 10th, and the rut was still 2-3 weeks away! I knew I'd see a much better onein the next two weeks without a doubt! It was a done deal though!! I was thinking of all the time I'd miss sitting in my stand waiting for a "good" buck to come by. But no, I was done buck hunting for the year already. I was honestly a bit depressedabout it. Lesson learned, the hard way!
Although I was proud of the bowkill itself, I learned acouple ofgood lessons from this. The main one being, don't judge a buckwhenyou haveless than proper light, morning or evening. It was a long deer season because of this![&o]
Anyway, do any of you guys have any similar regets as far as taking a deer you wish you didn't?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Regret?

I can see where a seasoned hunter like yourself would feel that way, but hey...any deer with a bow is a success and a buck so much the better. I guess we're lucky here in MD that we can get 2 bucks so it may not have been so much of a disappointment.
Question: Did you see better bucks during the rest of the season? Anything you'd be satisfied with?
Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back in 2006 I killed a button buck and I have regretted that. I would like to have that one back if I could.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes I regret shooting the 1st buck to come by for far too many years.It was such ahard habit to break.What was worst was passing on a buck, only to panic and shoot it the 2nd time around.[&:][:@]
Old 08-06-2008, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not a trophy hunter, and I feel blessed with any deer. But I understand that for someone who has taken a lot of big deer, their priorities change down the road. Everyone is a different kind of hunter and thats ok
Old 08-06-2008, 05:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: NavyDeerHunter

Question: Did you see better bucks during the rest of the season? Anything you'd be satisfied with?
Yes, I saw a couple that were bigger (not what I really wanted), but I really didn't spend as much time in the woods as I would have if I was still waiting for a buck. I just put a little time in to get another doe.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the books on your desk, are on my desk!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Even the 1973 edition of WHITETAIL (Fundamentalsand Fine Points for the Hunter) by George Mattis? That was one of my very first deer hunting books. It even has a sewn cover.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:32 PM

Yeh, I shot a 6 pt opening day at day break one year and not 1 hr later a 120-125" 8 pt came in at 40 yds and saw the 6 pt laying dead and he freaked out and took off!!
Old 08-06-2008, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: Sliverflicker

Even the 1973 edition of WHITETAIL (Fundamentalsand Fine Points for the Hunter) by George Mattis? That was one of my very first deer hunting books. It even has a sewn cover.
That and also another one of my favorites is that one you have there on Trout Fishing by Joe Brooks.

Quick Reply: Regret?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.