Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Asking for help 1 more time >

Asking for help 1 more time

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Asking for help 1 more time

Old 08-06-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Asking for help 1 more time

I posted this a couple of weeks ago and did not get a single reply. This is new ground I have gotten this year and I am having some problems figuring it out due to lack of food around it. The area is red is a bedding area in low ground. Green dots are camera locations and where I am thinking of for stand locations. The blue line is a heavily used trail heading to the beans. Last Sunday night I watched 17 does feeding in the beans and 10 bucks (two different groups) in the west CRP (three of the bucks were big boys I have trail cam pictures of). The problem I have is I know the beans will be gone way before Oct 1 and other than acorns, I don't what food source they are going to turn to and how that is going to affect their pattern. I know if season started today I would be in business, but the fact is, season does not start today. Thanks for any help or insight you all can provide.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Asking for help 1 more time

Even after the beans are picked, they will go to the stubble left. Set up with that in mind.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are also going to go to the CRP and browse they way through the woods.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

your sites look good the crp field in the middle of your area is that water near it and what is the red area
i have also had some trouble getting any to tell me what to do on my spots but some have helped alot

Old 08-06-2008, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

The red area is a hollow that the deer are bedding it and that is a pond in the middle CRP field. What concerns me the most is that as of right now, based on the scouting and field watching I have done, the west side seems to be hot. I know it is hot because they are using the beans hard. I am afraid that if I commit to this it will dry up once the beans are gone, so I am trying to figure out that they are going to do then. The next nearest crop field is over a mile away. I don't think they are going to pack up their bags and leave, but since I know where they are bedding, knowing where they are going to want to feed at is pretty important.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

well water is a big thing to look at i have been seeing them eat blackberris and everything green here
what do you have there for food. is there anything in the crp
ORIGINAL: kickin_buck

The red area is a hollow that the deer are bedding it and that is a pond in the middle CRP field. What concerns me the most is that as of right now, based on the scouting and field watching I have done, the west side seems to be hot. I know it is hot because they are using the beans hard. I am afraid that if I commit to this it will dry up once the beans are gone, so I am trying to figure out that they are going to do then. The next nearest crop field is over a mile away. I don't think they are going to pack up their bags and leave, but since I know where they are bedding, knowing where they are going to want to feed at is pretty important.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

also i would just look for a food supply besides the beans set up on the beans till there gone and move to the new food source. nothing else say with the water. or get close to the bedding area
Old 08-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

toward the top right is what looks to be a powerline clearing why not scout it i find around here there using those to access the fields and water might give you a nice open area
Old 08-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Buy a few more stands and put up multiple locations?

I tend to like the trails closer to the bedding areas, maybe look into some "woods" locations for stands off of the bedding areas where they might stage.
Maybe somewhere around the pond in the woods @ the 7-8 o'clock position, as there are two fingers that jet into different fields.
This might allow you to cover a few trails and still get a binocular view of the fields too see what they are doing at that particular time.
If you see a pattern developing for that time of the year I suggest moving ASAP to capitalize on your new found info.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I was hunting it, I would not make any decisions yet. Based on what you said with the unknown food situation I would wait till september and then take a day to go through the woods and check for early rubs and scrapes, see if you can find those big boys bedding areas. If it is hot, watch the water too! I would base where I hang a stand for the early season on what I find in september, trying to key in getting stands set to catch deer returning home in the morning, since you dont know for sure where the food is.

Quick Reply: Asking for help 1 more time

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.