Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 High Fence - Real Life Scenario >

High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 AM
Dominant Buck

Default High Fence - Real Life Scenario

No. This isn't a re-hash of my dilemma, last year.

I JUST got a call from one of my clients. He runs a high fence operation in OH. He, again, offered me a free hunt.....and a chance to take a 150 class animal. I reiterated my reluctance.....but thought about my son.

He said "OK". I told him I would only film, if we decided to come up.

So....little history....

My son is 16.....and last season he hunted 0 times for deer. He did take his bow out for turkeys, this year, and even had some close encounters. He shoots "some"......but loves it. He's just had the DEAR on his mind and not the DEER.

So what do I do?

Off the top of my head.....I want him to take a deer, here, with his bow, first. Another part of me thinks such a hunt "might" just be the kick-start he needs to get super interested (he's interested...and has taken a deer with his rifle in the past. He's not "super" interested).

Would this be OK? Would it be teaching him a bad lesson?

I'd love to hear your thoughts. You all helped me with my decision, last year....and I thank you for it.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: High Fence - Real Life Scenario

I remember this from last year. I don't remember how many acres the place is though?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, if you are opposed to hunting in that manner for yourself what kind of message is it giving your son if you say it's OK for him to do it?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

I can't think of a worst case scenario thantaking your first bow buck behind a fence.
Just not the sort of thing memories are made of.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would think that taking a high fenced trophy buck with little effort might set the bar pretty high in terms of his expectations for future hunts.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I wouldn't do it Jeff. In reality the kid is a grown man and doesn't need something like this to be handed to him the easy way. Let him make his decision on hunting at home. If he wants to hunt bad enough, he'll do it around home. In my honest opinion he has to make the decision if he wants to hunt, dad should do nothing to force it upon him (specially a high fence set up).
Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I would think that taking a high fenced trophy buck with little effort might set the bar pretty high in terms of his expectations for future hunts.
I feel it sets it a bit low Kind off like Jeff's Argument on AR's
Old 08-06-2008, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

My thought exactly
Old 08-06-2008, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Jeff, if you are opposed to hunting in that manner for yourself what kind of message is it giving your son if you say it's OK for him to do it?
Fair question....but it isn't all about, ME.

Lots of folks DON'T have a problem with this type of a hunt. Don't think we wouldn't have some serious talks before we went if we do decide to do it, though.

I have to wonder if it might teach him MORE to go on the hunt. It might make for an interesting ride home.......and the conversations.

He's 16.....and I'd get to spend the time going there and back with him. I'd get to spend the tree time with him. I'd get to experince the "thrill" (maybe?) with him. I'd get to give him the $$ for the mount.....that gift.

He's getting old enough to have these type conversations and discuss EVERYTHING involved. I think I could bring it up while watching something similar on TV.....and feel him out......without revealing the scenario.

There are positives, too. They "might" outweigh the negatives. I just don't know, yet. That's why I'm here, asking.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I didn't know Jeff was "against" it ... I always thought he said, "not for me" .... big difference ...

Quick Reply: High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.