Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 High Fence - Real Life Scenario >

High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Old 08-06-2008, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: High Fence - Real Life Scenario

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I really don't see anything wrong with it. Let's face it:this canned deer hunt isn't going to be a life-altering event that leads the child into a downward spiral of drugs, prostitution and welfare. It's a deer hunt for chrissakes. He goes out and shoots a deer. So what? Maybe it's half-tame. Maybe it's not the "ideal" set of circumstances. Rarely in life are circumstances truly "ideal." Let's be real here.

Look at it for what it is: A chance to go hang out with the boy and maybe bond a little bit. Maybe he gets one, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he backs off the trigger at the last second. Maybe he gets there and realizes right away that it's not for him.

Making your own decisions is part of becoming an adult. By putting him in a situation to make a decision and live with it - you're giving him an opportunity to grow as a human.

For the sake of argument, let's say thathe shootsa deer inside the pen, then feels a little bit of remorse about it later. This willeither re-affirm his zeal and desire to hunt truly "wild" game in the future. At worst, he may discover that hunting isn't for him.That's his decision to make.

In sum, I don't think it will "make or break" him as a hunter. I think it will give him an opportunity to make his own choice as an independent adultand live with it. It will give him the opportunity to experience compassion for his quarry and maybe open his eyes to the brutal beauty ofour game. Hunting isn't all butterflies and rainbows, whether it's inside a fence or 100% fair chase. Part of being a hunter, and more importantly, an adult, is making your own choices with regard to setting a heading on your own moral compass. As a father and a guide, you can present the opportunity to find himself as a man and a hunter.

All too often, hunters make a consciencious effort to try to get their family "into hunting"by putting them in a position to have a good time.Sooner or later, the honeymoon ends, andFather Time puts these people in a position where they fail. In hunting, you fail more often than you succeed. Some people just can't swallow failure, or lack the discipline to put in the actual effort necessary,so they just throw in the towel. I don't agree with that at all. I think you're setting them up for failure. Let people make their own decisions.

You've said it before - hunting is very personal - and I agree 100%. Let him make the call.
I think this is a very well thought out response and I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would say it could taint his idea of hunting in general. Maybe not though, dont know your son. My thoughts areit could really ignite the passion as you mentioned on one hand, on the other it may make him not want to sit patiently for hours, or even days waiting for an opportunity at a shot.I know I was so determined to hunt, I rode my bike to local farms and propeties with my bow when I was only 14. I only wish I had a father to take me hunting, Vietnam spolied those ideas : ) Good luck with your decision, thats a really tough call buddy.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 AM

I completely agree with Fran.

The boy is 16. When I was 16 the ONLY thing that kept me close to my father was hunting..... In two years he will likely be off to college and chasing the "dears" will become even more intense......

I'd look at it as maybe one last chance to really make some memories together that will be talked about for years to come..... And that my friend is much, much more important than our personal views on what may or may not be fair chase, ethical hunting.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

I can understand how you want you son to have the interest and love of hunting that you have. I was and still am the same way toward my sons. And I understand that it is possible that this hunt might spark that interest in hunting you wish for, thus your dilema for something you may not really support for you.

You know your son better than anyone and only you can make this decision. But I would argue that no matter what you do, you probably will not instill the love of hunting into your son viaone hunt. At his age, it's his choices, interests,and his decisions that will lead him down that path...or not! He may not have your love for it for years to come, if at all! Time will tell! Allow time to work in him and just continue to put those positive outdoor experiences in his memory that will one day be his influence!

Hopefully! Good luck in your decision!

Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

If my son came to me and said he wanted to do something like that after finding it, researching it, etc, for himselfthen I would take him and hope he enjoys it. However, I honestly do not think I could be very supportive of him in his venture. Ifind these hunts a disgrace. Right or wrong that is how I feel, and I could not fake it with my son or myself. I would be more proud of my son for takinga fawn in the wild and I would let him know that.

Although there are a number of monster bucks behind those fences there are no trophies. Simply my opinion.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd look at it as maybe one last chance to really make some memories together that will be talked about for years to come..... And that my friend is much, much more important than our personal views on what may or may not be fair chase, ethical hunting.
I agree in a way DC but at the same time but kid's don't need everything handed to them on a silver platter either. I'm not telling anyone how to raise there kids, but if it was me he would be either doing it the way hunting has been done for years or not at all. To often parents let there kids do things the easy way. Thats the norm it seems these days. No one wants to work for there things, just give it to me. Kids are spoiled rotten these days. JMHO.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

Who kidnapped Fran?! And why are they posting under his username[8D]

I see why is is the undisputed KING. Humor & brains.

Heck of a response, makes perfect sense. One of the best written posts I've read in a VERY long time.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:13 AM
Typical Buck

What if he decides "High Fence" is the way to go, instead of actually hunting? Doesnt sound like he puts a lot of time into huntinglike other 16yr olds, maybe he'll decide thathigh fence is the easy was to kill a monster every year. How will that change things?

Zach
Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Dominant Buck

If a man puts forth a set of standards for himself, but sets aside those standards for his children when it's convenient that doesn't send a good message IMO.
He likely doesn't share (all) my political views, either.......I don't think he COULD understand them, as a 16 yr old. I don't think I was CAPABLE of understanding things at 16 that I do, now.

This isn't something illegal. If it were even "immoral" in the eyes of the world (not just 'some' of the hunting world), then I wouldn't consider it.I think he's old enough, given ALL the information,to make this decision on his own. Part of learning life's lessons and forming one's OWN () opinions.....is through just living them all.

Again....this isn't about ME.

.... does he know the offer is there?
No. I just learned of it, myself, 5 minutes prior to this post.

Making your own decisions is part of becoming an adult. By putting him in a situation to make a decision and live with it - you're giving him an opportunity to grow as a human.
As a father and a guide, you can present the opportunity to find himself as a man and a hunter.
You've said it before - hunting is very personal - and I agree 100%. Let him make the call.
Fran I had not read your post when I typed what I did, above. Thanks.

Bowtech....he already has his first deer.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

once he is 18 he can do as he pleases While under my roof, no fence hunting.

If I could not put him on deer, well than shame on me

Quick Reply: High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.