Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 High Fence - Real Life Scenario >

High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Old 08-06-2008, 09:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Hunting may not be "to him"...what it is "to me".

I wouldn't hold that against him......ever.

**Edit**

I just saw your post, PT......

Thanks for those words. That is correct.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Jeff, if you are opposed to hunting in that manner for yourself what kind of message is it giving your son if you say it's OK for him to do it?
Fair question....but it isn't all about, ME.

Lots of folks DON'T have a problem with this type of a hunt. Don't think we wouldn't have some serious talks before we went if we do decide to do it, though.

I have to wonder if it might teach him MORE to go on the hunt. It might make for an interesting ride home.......and the conversations.

He's 16.....and I'd get to spend the time going there and back with him. I'd get to spend the tree time with him. I'd get to experince the "thrill" (maybe?) with him. I'd get to give him the $$ for the mount.....that gift.

He's getting old enough to have these type conversations and discuss EVERYTHING involved. I think I could bring it up while watching something similar on TV.....and feel him out......without revealing the scenario.

There are positives, too. They "might" outweigh the negatives. I just don't know, yet. That's why I'm here, asking.
Jeff my post had really nothing to do with you other than you being the boy's father. If a man puts forth a set of standards for himself, but sets aside those standards for his children when it's convenient that doesn't send a good message IMO.

If you really want to give your boy a "kickstart" into hunting pony up the dough and take him on a nice outfitted hunt. Real hunting, with real opportunity at a big buck, and no chance of remorse.

Just my .02.
Nontypical Buck

I'd have to say no. I started deer hunting when I was 12 and waited until I was 17 to shoot my first deer. My dad had a few spots that he could have taken me to shoot and easy deer but decided not to. I wanted a deer as a kid so bad but never had the right opportunity until I was 17. I'll tell you what, Im a better person for it today. I had to earn my first deer in rough conditions and when I look back, I wouldn't change a thing about it. I think not taking a deer for those first few years makes me enjoy my hunting experience and the thrill of harvesting an animal that much better.An easy kill handed to him on a plate with those canned hunts isn't even hunting, I believe its more along the lines of killing IMO.
Giant Nontypical

Id say this may be a great kick start for your son and you. It would give him a chance to see what its about and taking a deer of that size wiht his bow is somn he can brag about. And it allows you to spend that time together. Although Im against highfence hunting, I would do it. Just to get him the experience. If we dont hook him now, huntings future may be at risk.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

To clarify, by a high bar in terms of expectations, I mean that if one takes a trophy buck very easily, then they may expect to do that every time in the future. When they don't they will be disappointed. Kind of like encouraging one's son to date by hiring a very hot, very expensive call girl for him. May be a great experience, but that means he may be less content with dating the plain Jane next door in the future.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow jeff this is a tuff question. I do think that it would be great father son time spent alone not just hunting but the time spent at camp and on the drive and sharing the hunt and the kill. I would just be nervous about him getting the wrong idea about hunting but then again he has hunted before and knows what its about. He knows that hunts like this are offered and its not something that we do everyday! So therefor with some guideance on what the high fence is all about I say go for it, but explain to him why your doing it! your doing it for him #1 and to share a special moment/bond with him that you hope will grow upon him and will help you to share many more memories togethor! Good luck!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

.... does he know the offer is there?
Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

I really don't see anything wrong with it. Let's face it:this canned deer hunt isn't going to be a life-altering event that leads the child into a downward spiral of drugs, prostitution and welfare. It's a deer hunt for chrissakes. He goes out and shoots a deer. So what? Maybe it's half-tame. Maybe it's not the "ideal" set of circumstances. Rarely in life are circumstances truly "ideal." Let's be real here.

Look at it for what it is: A chance to go hang out with the boy and maybe bond a little bit. Maybe he gets one, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he backs off the trigger at the last second. Maybe he gets there and realizes right away that it's not for him.

Making your own decisions is part of becoming an adult. By putting him in a situation to make a decision and live with it - you're giving him an opportunity to grow as a human.

For the sake of argument, let's say thathe shootsa deer inside the pen, then feels a little bit of remorse about it later. This willeither re-affirm his zeal and desire to hunt truly "wild" game in the future. At worst, he may discover that hunting isn't for him.That's his decision to make.

In sum, I don't think it will "make or break" him as a hunter. I think it will give him an opportunity to make his own choice as an independent adultand live with it. It will give him the opportunity to experience compassion for his quarry and maybe open his eyes to the brutal beauty ofour game. Hunting isn't all butterflies and rainbows, whether it's inside a fence or 100% fair chase. Part of being a hunter, and more importantly, an adult, is making your own choices with regard to setting a heading on your own moral compass. As a father and a guide, you can present the opportunity to find himself as a man and a hunter.

All too often, hunters make a consciencious effort to try to get their family "into hunting"by putting them in a position to have a good time.Sooner or later, the honeymoon ends, andFather Time puts these people in a position where they fail. In hunting, you fail more often than you succeed. Some people just can't swallow failure, or lack the discipline to put in the actual effort necessary,so they just throw in the towel. I don't agree with that at all. I think you're setting them up for failure. Let people make their own decisions.

You've said it before - hunting is very personal - and I agree 100%. Let him make the call.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:38 AM

Im 15 right now and I wouldnt accept a High Fence Hunt, I also have not taken a single deer yet, well 1 year trying. Think of much better his first real deer will feel.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

I really don't see anything wrong with it. Let's face it:this canned deer hunt isn't going to be a life-altering event that leads the child into a downward spiral of drugs, prostitution and welfare. It's a deer hunt for chrissakes. He goes out and shoots a deer. So what? Maybe it's half-tame. Maybe it's not the "ideal" set of circumstances. Rarely in life are circumstances truly "ideal." Let's be real here.

Look at it for what it is: A chance to go hang out with the boy and maybe bond a little bit. Maybe he gets one, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he backs off the trigger at the last second. Maybe he gets there and realizes right away that it's not for him.

Making your own decisions is part of becoming an adult. By putting him in a situation to make a decision and live with it - you're giving him an opportunity to grow as a human.

For the sake of argument, let's say thathe shootsa deer inside the pen, then feels a little bit of remorse about it later. This willeither re-affirm his zeal and desire to hunt truly "wild" game in the future. At worst, he may discover that hunting isn't for him.That's his decision to make.

In sum, I don't think it will "make or break" him as a hunter. I think it will give him an opportunity to make his own choice as an independent adultand live with it.

All too often, hunters make a consciencious effort to try to get their family "into hunting"by putting them in a position to have a good time.Sooner or later, the honeymoon ends, andFather Time puts these people in a position where they fail. In hunting, you fail more often than you succeed. Some people just can't swallow failure, or lack the discipline to put in the actual effort necessary,so they just throw in the towel. I don't agree with that at all. I think you're setting them up for failure. Let people make their own decisions.

You've said it before - hunting is very personal - and I agree 100%. Let him make the call.

WOW! .... Post of the year!!! Well said, Fran!!!!

Quick Reply: High Fence - Real Life Scenario

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.