Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What's it like?? >

What's it like??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What's it like??

Old 08-05-2008, 01:48 PM

Default What's it like??

What does Mule deer taste like?? Never had it. Is it better than whitetail??
Old 08-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What's it like??

Depends on where both were located, or more specifically what they were feeding on. Where I hunt mule deer they often eat a lot of sage and so the meat is somewhat gamey. However, whitetail that I have taken from SE Ohio that live on sticks and browse only is much more gamey. So, as in every aspect of life, it all depends. Overall, I would rate mule deer above whitetail for taste, but they are very close.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only muleys I've had eat a lot of sage too. The roasts smoked with mesquite are good, but everything else has that gamey taste. The whitetails here are mostly corn and bean fed, so very little gaminess. So like Huntingson says, depends on what they eat, and I'll add in and the way they're cooked.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Muleys is excellent meat if you ask me. Better then whitetail as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with what everyone said above, it really depends on where you are hunting them and what they eat. The muleys my family and i have got have all been from Montana right on the Rocky Mtn Front. They are mostly grass fed and every few years the fires come through and burn everything up leaving lots of new growth in its wake. Because of that i always thought the meat was very good, to be honest if you blindfolded me i'm not sure that i would be able to taste a difference.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM

all the deer here have a gamey taste compaired to other places cause they eat alot of sage brush and dry desert plants.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Muleys is excellent meat if you ask me. Better then whitetail as far as I'm concerned.
X2