Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting Question >

Bowhunting Question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting Question

Old 08-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

Default Bowhunting Question

I hunt in a suburban area bordered by homes. I know there's at least one buck on the 40 acres of partially wooded land I hunt....or at least there was last year (missed him!). There's probably more, but I killed the bigger one 2 years ago, and saw this one (big, tall 6-pointer) twice last year. Last year I killed one of the 3 does I saw regularly, and this year I've seen the other two does on my trail camera pretty much every day.

My question is this - I think I can easily take one or both of these mature does in the opening week of bow season (9/8), but am I more likely to see the buck(s) if I don't take the does? I figure the does will bring the buck(s) aroundduring the rut...but probably not if they're in my freezer!

Should I just take one doe, and then wait for the buck(s)?

Thanks!

Old 08-03-2008, 10:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting Question

If I thought there were only 3 deer in there.....I wouldn't kill the does, for sure.

The buck would have to be kinda special, too.

How many deer do you think are in or are using the 40 acres? Are they bedding there? Are they using it as a travel corridor? Have you seen other deer in there? DO you have other places you can take deer?
Old 08-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

I've seen the does get up from bedding in a tall weed field....and the buck comes up from the woods near the creek, though a funnel leading to a field (that used to be corn, but not any more). There's lots of deers in the area...we see them running across the road all the time between my house and this place (about 4 miles), but it seems like these 3 deers are the only ones I see consistently on this property.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

No where else close to hunt....have to drive to VA (1 hour) to get to a hunt club. It's nice to hunt just down the road from my house (have children....lots of soccer games, softball games, girl scout events, etc.).
Old 08-03-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been doing a in city Bowhunt the past 3 years. If you do much time in the area I am sure you will find several Deer & "probably" some Bucks that will get your blood pumping for sure. I Bowhunt much smaller patches & strips within the city & see tons of Deer & some great Bucks. We have to shoot THREE Does B/4 we are legal to shoot a Buck. Last year there were TWO P&Y Bucks within 10 yds. of me-yep, I had not filled all the Doe Tags yet & just took video of them. I have seen many other Bucks & other Trophy Bucks as well. Enjoy the fact you have a 40 acre area. Most areas I get into are 1-3 acres at most & walkers, joggers all around. It "IS" amizing how our Whitetails are so invisiable to so many within feet of them. Good Luck...
Old 08-03-2008, 10:45 AM
Dominant Buck

If you're hunting in Greensboro (didn't notice).....shoot whatever you want. I wouldn't worry about it. There'll be another to take its place.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO iwould never hunt a "city" patch of woods. At least not around here. It seems like too many things could go wrong, and having joggers and stuff around is not a safe place to be hunting IMO. Also, ive been in some city woodlots where i could walk up to within 10 feet of deer......where is the sport in that?

If your patch is 40 acres, then thats a good chunk of woods that could holdmany deer and you could also hunt safely. But i do not see where 1-3 acres of jogger invested woods is safe to hunt.

That is only my opinion though.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Dominant Buck

IMO iwould never hunt a "city" patch of woods. At least not around here. It seems like too many things could go wrong, and having joggers and stuff around is not a safe place to be hunting IMO. Also, ive been in some city woodlots where i could walk up to within 10 feet of deer......where is the sport in that?
If your patch is 40 acres, then thats a good chunk of woods that could holdmany deer and you could also hunt safely. But i do not see where 1-3 acres of jogger invested woods is safe to hunt.

Siman....

He hasn't made one mention of HOW urban this area is. Don't try to paint a sour picture of the area or pass judgement on the "hunt" unless you know what you're taking about.

Ok?

Old 08-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ahunter55

I've been doing a in city Bowhunt the past 3 years. If you do much time in the area I am sure you will find several Deer & "probably" some Bucks that will get your blood pumping for sure. I Bowhunt much smaller patches & strips within the city & see tons of Deer & some great Bucks. We have to shoot THREE Does B/4 we are legal to shoot a Buck. Last year there were TWO P&Y Bucks within 10 yds. of me-yep, I had not filled all the Doe Tags yet & just took video of them. I have seen many other Bucks & other Trophy Bucks as well. Enjoy the fact you have a 40 acre area. Most areas I get into are 1-3 acres at most & walkers, joggers all around. It "IS" amizing how our Whitetails are so invisiable to so many within feet of them. Good Luck...
Sorry, i forgot to make it clear that i was aiming most of my post towardsahhunter55,

And im not trying to say that its wrong, because its obvoisly perfectly legal....im just saying it seems a little "dangerous".
Old 08-03-2008, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Understood, Siman. And you're correct (we need to be safe). I just know some poeple will take offense when we (as a community) say thing like "Where is the sport in that" when describing how someone else hunts.

Carry on.....

Quick Reply: Bowhunting Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.