Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 scent control to stand!! >

scent control to stand!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

scent control to stand!!

Old 07-31-2008, 11:21 AM

Default scent control to stand!!

How do you guys keep from sweating walking to your stand when it is so hot in the early season? Im in a t shirt and i still sweat!!
Old 07-31-2008, 11:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: scent control to stand!!

Get in shape.

After that.....there's only so much you can do. I try to take my time......but in extreme heat......you just try to minimize how much you sweat.

I also try to avoid my best spots if extreme sweating is going ot be an issue......even if I do have a good wind.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

I buy those field wipes and wipe myself down when gettin close to the stand. They work really well at eliminating scent and cool you down.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in Texas and South Arkansas so there is no way to keep from sweating in the early season, even if I'm sitting still. I try to give myself plenty of time so I can walk slowly to my stand site. Of course, I use a climber and by the time I am at the top of the tree, I'm pouring.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Take off your hat (justput some water and baking soda and rub it on your head so as notrelease any stink)and wear sweat wicking clothing such as UnderArmour or a similar product. Sounds stupid, but some people shave their underarms and other sweaty areas . If you can, arrive 30 minutes earlier than you expect and slow down as you walk into your stand. If you can use a bike and "coast" along the way, that will also lessen the sweating.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

I remember last year when I first purchased my Lone Wolf climber. I was itching so bad to climb a tree with it. It was mid-September and probably in the low 90's this day. I walked to this little area for an afternoon hunt and began to climb the tree with my new climber and man I was sweating in no time! I mean sweat was just pouring off my chin and even off the bill of my cap! My shirt was just clinging to my body. I could feel sweat drips just running down my shins. It was a nightmare.........................or so I thought! Suddenly I began to hear the all too familiar hum of a mosquito or two in my personal space! MAn, before I knew it, the mosquitos were just laying in to me, left and right. I bet I wasn't in that tree any more than 30 minutes TOPS!!

I really don't know what the answer is to staying cool and comfortable when it's 90 degrees......in the shade! I guess, like others said, walk slowly, exert as little energy as needed, bring along a small hanky to wipe your brow and store it in a scent proof baggie. I mean they make those bandana's that you store in the freezer and can wrap around your head, but I don't know that much about them.

Good luck!
Old 07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see myself ever minimizing how much I sweat. I'm talkin buckets! I wear a bandana under my hat with a built in sweat band around the brim, it helps a little. Once I'm up in my tree I pull out a wash cloth from my treestand bag and wipe off any sweat I can, then put it back in the bag and pull the drawstring tight on it. But I still sweat while I'm hunting, constantly, that's just how it is, so I wear a thick tshirt underneath my long sleeve camo so itll wick up the sweat somewhat. I wash my clothes in scent away, carry a big bottle of earth scent and drinch myself with it,and pin white oak wafers on my shirt and hat. I can't wear that under armor crap and stuff like that, it makes me so freakin hot and nasty feeling.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowtech.tribute

How do you guys keep from sweating walking to your stand when it is so hot in the early season? Im in a t shirt and i still sweat!!
First of all I don't even bother hunting if it's over 75 degrees.

I also use un-scented aerosol anti-perspirant / deodorant liberally on my back, pits, feet, legs, forehead,and anyplace else that sweats, if you know what I mean. And then I'll tray to walk in the shade, walk slow, and wear as few clothes as possible on the way to the stand. The scent wipes are nice too. Then when I get to the stand, I'll spray myself down again with scent spray real good again.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Them days I just try and enjoy the experience. Most critters aint moving anyways.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

The early archery (antlerless only)season in my specific area opens Sept 20th. I'll avoid the nasty heat and just start hunting when the regular (buck/doe) archery season opens Oct 4th. This will at least help that situation. I don't enjoy the heat at all. Come on Nov!

Quick Reply: scent control to stand!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.