Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Journal?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:00 PM

Default Journal?

I'm curious, does anyone else keep a journal of their hunts, scouting, etc?

I keep a journal of all my hunts, scouting days in the field etc. Like date,stand location,temperature, moon phase, precipitation, all my preperation(clothes scentshielding) Equipment, time in stand, etc. Then I try and look back and see patterns and what worked best where. Also use it for what smaller bucks I let walk or seen in the area for future hunts.

Anyone else do this? if so what else do you include that I may have forgotten? Has this helped you become a more knowledgable/smatter hunter?
Old 07-30-2008, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Journal?

yea, i record the wind direction, deer seen and where most of emcame in fromand also what time they came in
Old 07-30-2008, 01:11 PM

I also add wind direction, but I dont write which direction they came just what I saw. This may help, thanks!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never done it, but I'm planning to compile one starting this season. If anything, it would provide for some interesting reading 50 years down the road.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I started keeping a journal this past spring Turkey hunt, nothing to publish, more personal and more for the story of the hunt themselves! I have got a detailed version and then a quick summary of notes! I thought my son would get a kick out of them when he finds them after I'm dead and gone!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Typical Buck

I've kept one for two years and record sunrise/sunset times, moonrise/moonset times, temp, wind speed and direction cloud conditions and which stand i'm hunting. I do very well in the early season, but then have a bad habbit of letting it slide as the year gets past the rut. I need to do better at keeping it going, but also need to do better at using what I have recorded by going back to it for information. So yeah, I do it, but at this point its a useless exercise since I don't take advantage of my own hard work. [>:]
Must improve.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABuckbuster12

I also add wind direction, but I dont write which direction they came just what I saw. This may help, thanks!
well, the only reason i do this is because after i sit in a stand a few times and realize the deer are usually coming from whatever direction, it starts developing into a pattern and i walk up in the off season to where most of them came from to see why they came from there and if there is a possible stand site
Old 07-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Fork Horn

I would like to start doing it. I think doing it on the computer would make it a lot easier for me and probably would be less likely of losing it. I wonder if anyone has a general format to get a guy started.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I keep a journal of all my hunts, scouting days in the field etc. Like date,stand location,temperature, moon phase, precipitation, all my preperation(clothes scentshielding) Equipment, time in stand, etc. Then I try and look back and see patterns and what worked best where. Also use it for what smaller bucks I let walk or seen in the area for future hunts.

Anyone else do this? if so what else do you include that I may have forgotten? Has this helped you become a more knowledgable/smatter hunter?
I do it. Have kept a journal for nearly 7 or 8 years now.. and have learned a great deal from it.

I do think your missing what I believe to be the most important of daily stat PAbuckbuster.. wind direction.

I draw out a quick map and note the wind direction that day somewhere. Then I draw in where the deer came from and what direction they were heading. It has allowed me to (more than once) take advantage of the same wind on a proceeding hunt.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes PABuck, I just started doing that last year. I can't wait to compare results with this year's data. It should be interesting! Here's a typical page that I fill out for each day in the field. I got the idea from someonehere.

Quick Reply: Journal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.