Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How did you guys learn??? >

How did you guys learn???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How did you guys learn???

Old 07-30-2008, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How did you guys learn???

I was wondering how you guys learned all the technical stuff when it comes to bowhunting? Did you guys have a mentor, read books, or trial and error? I was just wondering because i want more than ever to know as much as i can about my sport that i am getting into. This is just going to be my third season bowhunting and i want to know where i can learn more. I know that this forum is a great place, but was looking for some other sources of input.

for example of what i mean....
"Maxima Hunter arrows will have you shooting tighter, more accurate groups. The key to this is the improved Front of Center design. The 2" Blazer vanes weigh just 5 grains each. Straightness: ±.0025". Weight tolerance: ±1.0 grain per dozen. Per 6. Sizes: 250-8.0 gpi, 350-8.9 gpi."

i have no idea what this means......and i feel i should

steve
Old 07-30-2008, 11:01 AM

Default RE: How did you guys learn???

Do you have any family that hunts, I learn a lot from my uncle because my dad does not hunt with a bow.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

i have one cousin who is a huge bowhunter.....i learned a lot about hunting from him when i lived in MO, but i was hunting with him for just one season before i moved across the country.....so i have no family that hunts where i am now in PA
Old 07-30-2008, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

the Bowhunting forums on Huntingnet.com

trial and error and lots and lots of research....take what they say in the forums and go read up on that information. there are loads of great information here.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Honestly, I learned most from Hunting Shows. I have been watching hunting shows for as long as I can remeber. They all have a tip clip in their show's, and they have helped me a ton!

A close second would be forums just like this one! There is so much information in these forums. And So many great people willing to lend a helping hand!

Oh by the way, gpi= Grains Per Inch. It is the scale at witch arrows are measured in weight. People generally use heavier arrows for hunting applications, and lighter arrows for target applications. Heavier arrow = more penetration!!

Good Luck! And keep reading!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

I learned alot from my cousin (he is my mentor), and i learned alot from this site.

i would like to thank all of you who have contributed to this site over the last 2 years
Old 07-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Did you guys have a mentor, read books, or trial and error?
Yes
Old 07-30-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a mentor and evolved into working for a couple shops in my spare time....
Old 07-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: JNTURK

the Bowhunting forums on Huntingnet.com

trial and error and lots and lots of research....take what they say in the forums and go read up on that information. there are loads of great information here.
That pretty much sums it up for me too.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

My mother (God rest her soul) once told me long ago, the very best way to learn is to read. That is basically how I learned much of what I know about deer hunting. I've also learneda lotfrom trial and error as wellas from plain old experience. I have to admit I've learned a ton of the tech things right here also!

Quick Reply: How did you guys learn???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.