Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

"Momentum"

Old 07-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

Default "Momentum"

This was mentioned in another thread as being a good thing (I have no doubts that it is) when determining arrow weight and its effectiveness.

I mentioned KE...and another poster eluded to () momentum being the most important factor....and NOT KE.

I won't argue the point....because I have no idea. But I did ask this question.....and recieved no response.

How do you measure momentum.....to know if it's any good, or not.....and to determine when you are at a point of diminishing returns?
I suppose I could build a REALLY heavy arrow....and have a lot of "momentum" in my setup. But....at what point do you receive diminsihing returns?

This is of interest to me as I lower the poundage on my bow....and still try not to go with a light arrow setup.

Thanks.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: "Momentum"

Typically, questions like this are answered in the Technical forum:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2907653
Old 07-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Velocty X Mass= momentum

Jeff, I went through the same thing a while back and after finding out the information I have found that adding weight and gaining KE you are also gaining momentum, just as long as you dont keep adding weight till your KE starts to drop.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I suppose I could build a REALLY heavy arrow....and have a lot of "momentum" in my setup. But....at what point do you receive diminsihing returns?
It really depends on what you consider diminishing returns on increasing the weight of the arrow. There will be a point where there will be atrade offover speed which is probably different for each individual, getting to a standard will be impossible. Your arrow will absorb more of your bows energy as the weight of the arrow increases. However at a certain point the increase will be less and less until very little increases are made. Would that point be enough, if you add more weight, you can still get more technically. With the arrow materials being made right now though, I don't think there is a point of being too heavy. I am shooting arrows right now that are closing in at 700 grains and it would be difficult to add much more with what is being offered on the market.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TexasBowHunter

Velocty X Mass/225120= momentum I left out the divider in the other post!!!

Jeff, I went through the same thing a while back and after finding out the information I have found that adding weight and gaining KE you are also gaining momentum, just as long as you dont keep adding weight till your KE starts to drop.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:12 AM
Dominant Buck

Breaking this down into a unting scenario (for you, Bruce).....I'll be shooting 60#'s and using a/c/c 3-49's, this fall. RIGHT NOW.....my plan is to utilize a 100gr BH (mechanical). I think I'll be getting +/- 290fps out of this setup.....and my total arrow weight will be in the 375gr. range (+/- 5 gr).

That's +/- 70FPKE.

"IF" I thought I could go with a 125gr head and not require an arrow change (due to spine).....I'd consider it. It would help my FOC.....AND (I assume) my "momentum".

But it would slow my arrow down, I would think, considerably. So how does that compute as far as "diminshing returns"?

Thanks for all your help.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Take a plastic bat and let me whack you in the head as hard as I can
Now let me do it with a wooden bat, not lets discuess diminshing returns

Jeff for every x grains one loses x FPS, I have no idea what it is.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Typical Buck

Breaking this down into a unting scenario (for you, Bruce).....I'll be shooting 60#'s and using a/c/c 3-49's, this fall. RIGHT NOW.....my plan is to utilize a 100gr BH (mechanical). I think I'll be getting +/- 290fps out of this setup.....and my total arrow weight will be in the 375gr. range (+/- 5 gr).

That's +/- 70FPKE.

"IF" I thought I could go with a 125gr head and not require an arrow change (due to spine).....I'd consider it. It would help my FOC.....AND (I assume) my "momentum".

But it would slow my arrow down, I would think, considerably. So how does that compute as far as "diminshing returns"?
Jeff, if you get a chance, chronograph your arrow that you are shooting both with a 100 grain and with a 125 grain and see what the change in KE is.

I ask this out of curiosity because with my set up, I get basically the same KE either way ( I think it was within 1#), based on the formula used for KE.

I can't remember the specifics because it was last year that I did it. But I know I was surprised that the 125 slowed down the arrow enough to keep the KE the same. However, I am assuming the 125gr has more MOMENTUM even though KE is the same. Is this correct?
Old 07-30-2008, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Disclaimer: There may actually be a few people out there who understand momentum. To those people, this post is not directed at you.

From my seat in the peanut gallery, it appears that "momentum" is a term reserved specifically for the internet smartass know-it-all's who like to pretend that anyone who uses "Kinetic Energy" as a barometer of their arrow's penetration power is an ill-informed illiterate dumbass.

90% of these individuals have no idea how to calculate momentum, and will read this and go look it up, just to spite me and pretend that I'm wrong.They'll be googling over the next hour, trying topuke out somepost-hoc rationaliztion thattheyactually do actually know how to come up with it. It will take them at least a half-hour to figure out the unitary conversions. Somebody may actually suffer a brain aneurysm as a result of this post.

The King is not responsible for any prospective self-inflicted brain damage or psychiatric episodes occuring in correlation to this message.

These idiotscontinue to drop the M-Bomb, in spite of the fact that the entire bowhunting world widely accepts Kinetic Energy as areasonable baseline.

I'd lay a hefty wager that most of these people had never heard of the term "momentum"until one of their internet idols used it ina post.

Momentum Schmomentum.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

Disclaimer: There may actually be a few people out there who understand momentum. To those people, this post is not directed at you.

From my seat in the peanut gallery, it appears that "momentum" is a term reserved specifically for the internet smartass know-it-all's who like to pretend that anyone who uses "Kinetic Energy" as a barometer of their arrow's penetration power is an ill-informed dumbass.

90% of these individuals have no idea how to calculate momentum, and will read this and go look it up, just to spite me and pretend that I'm wrong.They'll be googling over the next hour, trying topuke out somepost-hoc rationaliztion thattheyactually do actually know how to come up with it. It will take them at least a half-hour to figure out the unitary conversions. Somebody may actually suffer a brain aneurysm as a result of this post.

The King is not responsible for any prospective self-inflicted brain damage or psychiatric episodes occuring in correlation to this message.

These idiotscontinue to drop the M-Bomb, in spite of the fact that the entire bowhunting world widely accepts Kinetic Energy as areasonable baseline.

I'd lay a hefty wager that most of these people had never heard of the term "momentum"until one of their internet idols used it ina post.

Momentum Schmomentum.
I bet your arrows have tons of momentum flying at 350+.

Quick Reply: "Momentum"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.