Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 FOC and trajectory >

FOC and trajectory

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

FOC and trajectory

Old 07-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default FOC and trajectory

How much does FOC really affect arrow trajectory?

With all else equal, how much more drop would I have at 30 yards with a 20% FOC versus 10% FOC?

Old 07-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: FOC and trajectory

If the arrows weighed the same and had the same fletching you probably woudn't see a difference. A difference in total arrow weight will give you a different trajectory though.

I have a 533 grain arrow that is 12.63 inches high (above line of sight/aim) at 22 yards on a 40 yard shot and I have another 605 grain arrow that is 14 inches high at 22 yards on a 40 yard shot. They do have a different FOCbut the total arrow weight gives me the different trajectorys.

It is also possible that a four feather fletch with a severe helical and offset would give you a different trajectory than one with 3 blazers at a slight offset but that would be because the arrow speed is affected, more drag with the feather configuration, so the feathered arrow would have a higher trajectory.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wouldn't a higher FOC cause the tip of the arrow to want to nosedive a little more, resulting in a lower hit?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wouldn't a higher FOC cause the tip of the arrow to want to nosedive a little more, resulting in a lower hit?
No.

With higher FOC arrows the extra weight on the front end actualy pulls the arrow through the air. Lower FOC arrows with light tips, the actual shaft has to push the tip loosing more speed and impacting lower on longer shots. Which is why high FOC arrows maintain more momentium down range.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Do it. Depends on a lot of things. Then ask yourself, what's the point?

The Olyimpic Javelin used to have no foc, it wouldn't stick in the ground. They gave it some and now it does. You need some, how much depends on other things but if all things are equal, 10-14 should be great.

Old 07-29-2008, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Kanga

No.

With higher FOC arrows the extra weight on the front end actualy pulls the arrow through the air. Lower FOC arrows with light tips, the actual shaft has to push the tip loosing more speed and impacting lower on longer shots. Which is why high FOC arrows maintain more momentium down range.
X2

All my arrows aren't Super high FOC, but I believe the minimum for broadheads should be 12%. I have one set of FMJ's that are over 20%.

Awesome flight and excellent penetration!

Dan

Old 07-29-2008, 06:19 AM
Dominant Buck

All you ever wanted to know about FOC and more.

http://www.ubbc.ca/resources/documents/archive/understanding_and_applying_foc.pdf
Old 07-29-2008, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

How much does FOC really affect arrow trajectory?

With all else equal, how much more drop would I have at 30 yards with a 20% FOC versus 10% FOC?
OL Adcock set world distance records using extreme FOC arrows. When saying all else equal, I am assuming same total arrow weight, same type of fletch, same bow, etc. As long as the bow/arrow combo are tuned propery, IMO, it could only help. And I don't believe you would get more "drop".
Old 07-29-2008, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Randy Ulmer says that FOC DOES affect trajectory.

This from Randy Ulmer:

"Your arrow’s balance point will affect its trajectory – at least slightly. For example, an arrow that is “tip light” will remain a little more level in flight and will actually plane or sail along a flatter trajectory than one of the same weight but with a heavier nose. But, tip light arrows don’t correct quite as fast when they come out of the bow. The closer the center of gravity gets to the physical center of the arrow the less stable the arrow will be in flight. A slashing arrow pivots around its center of mass (balance point). The farther the balance point is from the fletchings the more leverage they have and the quicker they can bring the arrow back on line.

The experts at Easton feel that an FOC value that is between 10 and 15 percent will produce the best compromise between stability and a flat trajectory for most hunting situations. The American Society for Testing and Materials have published a procedure for measuring balance point, and in it they state that a value of 9% is typical. But, they also add that the range can be as wide as 7% to 18% while still producing good arrow flight. 3-D shooters seeking a flatter trajectory often go a little lighter on the nose with many shooting arrows having FOC balance points closer to 6 percent. "

http://www.randyulmer.com/archive/2007/02/07/arrow-stability/

Old 07-29-2008, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of things in Archery are not Black & White, 2+2=4, or the Gospel[8D]

Too many variables in shooters, and setups.

For every expert you find that says one thing on a subject you can find another that says different.

Shoot your arrows, do your testing on whatever thesubject is,and make your own mind up.

My main hunting arrows will be about 12% FOC, but I do have a set of FMJ's I will use out of one rig that has over 20% and they fly, group, and penetrate outstanding. Trajectory is more arched but they weigh over 100 grains more than my other arrows.

If they would fly flatter with less FOC? Personally I don't care I have seen the advantage of extreme FOC and those arrows will only be used short range anyway (approx. 35 yards or less)

Dan

Quick Reply: FOC and trajectory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.