Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 2008 NE HNI GTG Smackdown/3D & more. >

2008 NE HNI GTG Smackdown/3D & more.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

2008 NE HNI GTG Smackdown/3D & more.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default 2008 NE HNI GTG Smackdown/3D & more.

Thursday afternoon found me working late on my job on a trouble ticket that came in due early Friday morning. I called my boss asking him if I worked it late, could I leave early Friday in preparation for the 1st annual NE HNI GTG Smackdown/3D event. He said sure so I even went in early in preparation of the drive up to camp grounds near Erie, PA.

On the road later than I expected but in 4.25 hours I arrived in camp. I was meeting Doug (PABuck_HNTR), Scott (buckeye), Doug (OHbowhntr) and Josh (joshw020) for the first time.

PABuck_HNTR with his camp.

Scott, Doug, Doug and Josh were playing Corn Hole...you don't want to know.

Later that night Germ and huntingson rolled in from the west. We all sat around the campfire that night telling hunting stories, talking about HNI personalities, stategies, lies and jokes. [8D] The cold ones (both adult and non alch) were flowing as well as the bull. I had the opportunity to meet a couple more HNI'ers such as elkhuntinut as well as Dave of Daves Archery. I got the first of two venison bologna chubs I had brought to share with my new found brothers. This bologna was from my 07 contest buck as well as the doe I took with Rick James.

The next morning we all woke up joking around and talking smack and my new found hero/Marine huntingson took a jog around the camp. For each 3rd lap was one mile, he ran 18 laps or 6 miles and had to put up with our jokes and jabs as he ran past us. Of course we had a finish line for him on his 18th lap/6th mile. I think he finally broke a sweat around lap 17.5. j/k/k

huntingson finishing his 6 miles with buckeye and OHBowhtr holding the ribbon (TP).

After we gathered everyone (rybohunter rolled in) we headed out to have a hearty breakfast and get our arses over to the smackdown/3D course.

Once there we got to meet up with 07tomkat (Matt) who had a smile from ear to ear and was a pleasure to talk with.

Everyone got registered and gathered around for some warm up shots on the outside range. I knew right then and there shooting along side buckeye for the first time that I had my hands full and realized why 47% of the votes went to him. He was steady as rock and his groups mirrored my own if not tighter. I was confident that my 82nd Airborne was still dead on and I started my mental preparation.

We gathered in a group of 11 and drew score cards for groups and headed out on the coarse. I was paired with huntingson, joshw020 and 07tomkat. I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed shooting with these 3 guys. All day was smiles and laughs and good ribbing.

huntingson on target

A couple targets later we slapped some nockes in there.

After target 15 I was up 3. I had one 8 on target 4, a leopard which I shot in the wrong spot. After glassing and picking out the X (11) ring, I chose the wrong spot when I shot and shot an 8. I shot the rest of the front half clean with 5 11's for 3 up. I knew the pressure was on me as I knew buckeye if not someone else had to be at least that up if not more. As it turns out later I was correct as Scott was leading at the half. Like I said, he's as solid a shooter as I've seen.

Germ's group which included rybohunter and OHbowhtr I believe caught up to us and we let them shoot through.

Germ on a gobbler:

rybohunter on the same target:

Half way through the back half I managed to shoot clean picking up quite a few more 11's and was sitting at 10 up. On target 27, a roughly 32 yard elk with a 10 ring the size of a dinner plate I jumped on my first and only shot of the day and shot an 8. I couldn't believe it but had to laugh. That 8 dropped me to 8 up and I mentioned to my group, that's not good enough. I had to 11 the final two targets to climb back to 10 up in order to have a shot at the title. I did manage to 11 the last two targets and went back to the club house 10 up. (310)

Rob/PA

Once back at the shop I had the honor to meet a couple more HNI'r. GR8atta2d and MATHEWS PA BOWHUNTER and his son. We all stood around shooting the bull and telling jokes waiting for buckeyes group to wonder in.

GR8 and MPAB still had to shoot their round so huntingson, Germ and myself agreed we'd shoot another round to keep them company and of course, talk smack.

Much to our suprise and honor MPAB's son was shooting with us too. If I remember correctly, he was 6 and quite the refined little shooter himself.

GR8atta2d. This was Bob's very first (very first) ever 3D shoot as well as the very FIRST picture of GR8 on HNI! ! ! [&:]

huntingson and Germ.

MATHEWS PA BOWHUNTER:
The smile says it all, it was pretty much the theme for the day.

huntingson on a bedded buck:

Germ on same target:

We got back to the shop and was told the food was read so we readily headed back to camp.

We have to thank Doug (PAbuck_HNTR) and his gals for some fantastic eats. Once filled up with new energy back to the club house for some shoot offs and smacktalk.

Germ standing around the shootoff for drawings or something:

For some reason, Germ and I were first up. We were the only 2 that 11'd target 12 so we had to shoot closest to the 11 on a yard/field shot at the clubhouse. I shot first and shot the 11, I won't mention what Germ, his Elite and FOB's shot, let's just say it was HIGH.

Next up was buckeye, myself and GR8atta2d on a different target. buckeye nailed the 10 and GR8 and I shot touching shafts just outside the 10 ring.

huntingson with the shoot off course behind him:

We all decided to head back out on the course for some prize shooting, BS, smacktalk and fun so all 14 I think of us headed out.

From left to right: 07tomkat, Germ, (the second ever photo of) GR8atta2d and elkhuntinut:

What started out with us shooting stakes ended with us making shots up. At one stake we stared at a target 108 yards away. I would GUESS that at least 20 arrows were sent downrange at this target and only ONE arrow hit it. I missed once high and once low but guess who was the only person to hit it.....I said to Germ, when in doubt, shoot over the leg...LOL winky winky, j/k/k [8D]

We then shot at a 75 yard boar which I hit 3 for 3 forming a triangle but I believe GR8 and (sorry) hit it closest to the 10.

Back at the club house/shop we stood/sat around and joked so much more, shot the bull and laughed. At this time I had easily shot 105-110 arrows and I was whooped but as the night continued that got embellished to 400 arrows and 6 miles.

Oh and the first order of business was a promised shot at Germs FOB's.....so we all unloaded LOL

I had the arrow with the yellow nock touching it on the left but buckeyes arrow successfully busted the FOB.

OHbowhntr, GR8atta2d and buckeye talking/shooting smack.

The onlookers: front: joshw020, Germ, MATHEWS PA BOWHUNTER, Chris Jr.
back: huntingson, (unknown shop worker), elkhuntinut and 07tomkat.

Back at camp it was time to hand out give aways, prizes for odd shots, distances, and grab bags.

Pictured here is some of the Ultimate Camo that was donated by Andy (Diesel) and thank you so much Andy.

Front: huntingson, UC Pro Staffer GR8atta2d and 07tomkat. Back, elkhuntinut and OHbowhntr

Gander Recipients OHbowhntr and josh020 (low man in the 3D suit award). winky winky

buckeye and I had this picture taken the next morning, also Gander recipients, mine choice as the 3D winner and buckeys for the worst shot on target 30 in the 14 man team shootout...LOL winky, winky.

And the best for last. winky winky.

PAbuck_HNTR and bloodcrick got together and this what was made for the top 3 shooters: Notice the new Avatar. AND for thos 27% that voted for me, thanks homies! [8D]

The weekend went very fast, I had a fantastic time and I can't wait for the second annual and to give buckeye a return match. Hopefully we'll have more than we had this weekend although the turnout was fantastic and more fun that we could have hoped for. (We missed many of you and you know who you are).

Following the Tressel Vessel out of camp. (buckeye if you didn't know [&:]) [&o]

See you all next year!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 2008 NE HNI GTG Smackdown/3D & more.

Looks like fun!
Old 07-27-2008, 08:52 PM

Im sorry I couldn't make it guys. It was killing me all weekend. Congrats Rob on beating down Luckeye. LOL Oh by the way I did vote for you to win.

Buckeye OMG that has to be the ugliest camper I have ever seen. Did it come with a free sweatervest too?LOL But a nice Blue and White paintjob would fix it right up. LOL

Glad to see everyone had a great time, and once again im sorry i missed it. Hopefully there will be another next year and if there is I WILL be attending.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great pics Rob!!! Let's see more you guys
Old 07-27-2008, 09:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats Rob on beating down Luckeye. LOL Oh by the way I did vote for you to win.
Suck up, seems to me I remember seeing your name under Germ's votes. Admin powers activate...LOL j/k/k.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Congrats Rob on beating down Luckeye. LOL Oh by the way I did vote for you to win.
Suck up, seems to me I remember seeing your name under Germ's votes. Admin powers activate...LOL j/k/k.
LOL honestly did I? I could have sworn I voted for you. Oh well alteast someone put the smack down on Luckeye. Glad to see you guys had a good time bud
Old 07-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

Ihad a great time, it was greatmeeting everyone and it was good to put faces to the names. Thanksto everyone for being patient with my son. A good time was had by all that attended, i wish i could have stayed at the camp grounds for the social hour ('s). I could have used a cold refreshment that you offered me rob. Maybe next year I'll ask off for it instead of thinking that it was close to home that i didn't need to ask off.

Oh by the way Chris Jr is 7.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

I voted for Rob "half rack" Poorman while everyone else was on the buckeye bandwagon.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I could have used a cold refreshment that you offered me rob. Maybe next year I'll ask off for it instead of thinking that it was close to home that i didn't need to ask off.

Oh by the way Chris Jr is 7
Chris, it was a great time shooting with you. I thought maybe I had your son's age wrong but hell, I shoot 888 arrows and walked 40 miles. I'll make sure I have some more cold ones next year.

Oh, and we didn't need patience with your boy, he was awesome.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Matt, but after watching Scott shoot, I think I'd vote for him too. He's solid and one never knows. Now bring Matt / PA, Rick James and many others and man, that's a shootout.

I hope Doug (PAbuck_HNTR) posts all the scores as I don't remember them but

Rob 310, 2 8's 14 11's
Scott 307 3 8's 13 11's. SOLID!

Rybo 279
Germ 278

Quick Reply: 2008 NE HNI GTG Smackdown/3D & more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.