Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 1st year bowhunting. Need advice! >

1st year bowhunting. Need advice!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

1st year bowhunting. Need advice!

Old 07-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1st year bowhunting. Need advice!

Ok here is another 1st year bowhunter but 31 years old. I have rifle hunted for over 20 years and have a lot of hunting stuff for rifles that is. I have been shooting since spring when a good friend recommended me to bowhunting. I told him I would turn up hunting a notch and bowhunt if he would turn it up a notch and flyfish this year. Deal is a deal and I am getting more into the sport and excited for hunting season. I am shooting well, joined a bow league that shoots indoor 3d every Tuesday, and have enjoyed a few 3D outdoor shoots this summer as well. I have taken many antelope, mulies, and elk in Wyoming throughout my life so I am a serious and avid hunter so please do not bash.

Now the question: Give me your top 5 peices of bowhunting equipment. I have a lot of hunting equipment and need to know if I need to purchase more before the season starts. Things I don't have that I wonder how important it is to others is things like, matching camo, scent products, calls, rangefinders, ect.... you know the things that you don't need during rifle season.

Looking for your .02

Thanks,
Scott
Old 07-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 1st year bowhunting. Need advice!

Scott, people usually do not bash others on here seeking info. WELCOME! Some of the top 5 pieces of equipment for bowhunting besides the bow:

1) portable climbing tree stand
2) A grunt tube with multiple calling options (doe/fawn/buck)
3) Sharp and durable broadhead
4) A good book or two on bowhunting (my favorite is Bowhunting Pressured Whitetails by John Eberhart)
5) If you have the money, a good GPS unit. Bowhunting by its nature is a little more exact than gunhunting in that you have to get closer. Not that it requires more skill, just one has to get closer. With that in mind, forgetting the tree you really want to set up on and moving 10 yards past where you really want can cost you bigtime.

And did I forget to welcome you? WELCOME and best of luck! Man you must have some beautiful country out there in Wyoming...I am envious.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been bowhunting for 4 years and have spent alot of money on worthless crap. 5 things I can say I needed was:
1-bug spray/thermacell
2-few calls (rattlebag,grunt call,bleat can)
3-scent killer
4-patience
5-figure out how to keep all movements limited to NONE.

I'd be happy if I knew that before I bought all the gadgets and gizmos. Or at least have more money.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Knowing what I know now, if I could go back to when I first started, these are things I wish I would of had back then

1. Rangefinder
2. A good sight
3. A good release
4. Made sure my bow was tuned.
5. GPS
t5. Themacell
Old 07-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

Wow how fast you guys reply. I must add that I hunt antelope, mule deer, and elk esclusively. So books on whitetails, tree stands, and grunt calls are not necessary here in the rocky mountains of Wyoming. Maybe a blind down the road though. I use spot and stock most of the time rifle hunting and plan on doing the same with the bow. I have had no problems getting within 10 yards of animals and I do not sit well in one area for extended ammounts of time.

As for the list keep them coming. I appreciate saving me some money on useless equipment. I have plenty of that over the years already.

I have a good GPS, bow, site, release, arrows, ect......

I do still need to choose and shoot broadheads and some new camo. I need lightweight stuff for september hunting. Usually need some heavier gear in October around here.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

"So books on whitetails, tree stands, and grunt calls are not necessary here in the rocky mountains of Wyoming."

The book I was referring to just has some great bowhunting advice all around.

Old 07-26-2008, 10:12 PM
Typical Buck

You guys really consider a GPS a one of the top five pieces of equipment? Were talking about the must haves!

1. Scent Elimination detergent, deodorant, body wash and field spray.
2. Treestand preferably a climber.
3. Good Camo's: Face mask, gloves, pants or bibs, coat, underlayers and a very scent free pair of boots.
4. Camo pack including: Calls, knife, rope, bow hanger, flashlight etc...
5. Oh and an air tight scent free container to keep all your clothing and gear in.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dstubb

You guys really consider a GPS a one of the top five pieces of equipment? Were talking about the must haves!

1. Scent Elimination detergent, deodorant, body wash and field spray.
2. Treestand preferably a climber.
3. Good Camo's: Face mask, gloves, pants or bibs, coat, underlayers and a very scent free pair of boots.
4. Camo pack including: Calls, knife, rope, bow hanger, flashlight etc...
5. Oh and an air tight scent free container to keep all your clothing and gear in.
In Ohio NO, in WYOMING YES.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:49 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Since you are stalking and in the open...

1. Good binocs with chestharness
2. Small range finder if shooting past 30 yards.
3. SILENT materialedcamo
4. Back pack with lots of compartments but light weight
5. Good quality comfortable boots

Tim

Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

So far seems a rangefinder may be my #1 and new camo #2 w/ scent control.

Quick Reply: 1st year bowhunting. Need advice!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.