Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opinion

Old 07-25-2008, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opinion

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Too many of you guys are getting hung up the public hunting land thing. This has NOTHING to do with hunting public or private land. It has everything to do with deception and lack of respect. I would not ever hunt another day with that guy. Not one. I work too damn hard in my scouting and preparation to have someone else mess it up by not respecting me. And I really can't believe some of you guys are actually defending this guy because hey, its just public land. BS.
Right on Shadow!
Old 07-25-2008, 08:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Too many of you guys are getting hung up the public hunting land thing. This has NOTHING to do with hunting public or private land. It has everything to do with deception and lack of respect. I would not ever hunt another day with that guy. Not one. I work too damn hard in my scouting and preparation to have someone else mess it up by not respecting me. And I really can't believe some of you guys are actually defending this guy because hey, its just public land. BS.
Right on Shadow!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Put a Rattlesnake in the stand. He won't mind a bit.

LT
Old 07-25-2008, 09:10 AM

I have a lot of people ask me and my brothers about going hunting on public land. The very few I do carry, I am very upfront with them. I tell them I would love to, but it is a oneshot deal. If I ever see them in my spot or hear they told anyone where I go they are on the black list.
I will also ask them if they would like we can go check out some new ground for us to hunt in the future. This is the best situation because you actually get to hunt together and you don't end up being a guide for him and all his other buddies. It is also a good test. If he ever carries one of his buddies to his new spot he'll quickly realize why you were so cautious.
I don't have many friends. LOL Not that i carry hunting on public landanyway.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it was some random guy in your stand, then oh well, he did his scouting too, but for someone you introduced to the land and showed him some decent spots, that is just wrong.Maybe next year if you know he put in some time scouting then its a whole different ballgame, but if he is purposely going to the spots you picked out because he knows youare a better hunter, than that is just wrong. I wouldn't take him again, that's just abusing the kindness you offered him.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:29 AM
Typical Buck

Delete the info off his gps and tell him to buzz off and find his own spots!!!
Old 07-25-2008, 09:52 AM

Number one, tell him how you feel in a respectful way and go from there. If the problem keeps happening, I would break my ties to him and move on....alot of public lands out there for the scoutting...It is just hunting...In my view, you can't own a deer or public hunting spots....I agree this is a bad situation, consider it a lesson learned and be smarter about it in the future. Good luck and don't get violent, that will not solve anything..Infact I bet it would make things worse.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 PM

I think this is an honest misunderstanding myself. My bet is he thought you were showing him some spots so that he could hunt the land too.

This isn't exactly the same, but I've been going down to hunt some public land during our early muzzleloader season for the past three years. This year I won't be able to go, but my neighbors are going down for the first time. I'm going to show them some of the areas I scouted to give them some friendly neighborly help. I expect them to hunt the spots that I've scouted. If next year, we all get to go together, well, I'm sure we can decide who will hunt where. There is plenty of room for all and after all, on public land, we might run into to other people as well. Although I like my spots, it wouldn't bother me to have to go looking for new ones. That's part of the fun.

So maybe that's what this guy assumed. That you were helping him scout some spots. Maybe it was a poor assumption, but my guess is that it was done relatively innocently. I'll bet if you just talk to him about how you are feeling that you all can come up with an arrangement that works for both of you.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sorry I just see it as disrespectful. I would talk to him face to face and let him know (nicely) what he did was wrong. If he does not discontinue the use of your spots it is time to cut ties with him.
Hope you get it handled, sorry it happened to you.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

There always be new spots an better spots to be found. He willpressure the deer an they will move your job is to find them. Do not put them in your GPS. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.