Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 why not on public land >

why not on public land

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why not on public land

Old 07-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: why not on public land

Pretty sure all the land Ted hunts is high fence.... not 100% but most of the game on his ranch and the ranches he hunts are only allowed if their fenced in?

Ryan.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I've yet to see a show where all they do is shoot 200" bucks. In fact, I may have only ever seen 1-2 200" bucks killed on film EVER.

Most guys DO hate watching fenced shows and complain about it on here every other week or so.

If you planted food plots on public land you could be breaking laws in some states.

Yea, um I do believe uncle ted hunts some fenced operations.
And the Lakosky's hunt very highly managed private farms......so I'm not real sure what you are trying to say?

If you watch enough shows, there are some public land type hunts done, typically out west. When someone is making money to produce lots of footage of deer getting shot, they would mostly all go broke trying to make that happen on public land.
very good post.
took the words out of my mouth.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

i guest i should have clarified what i thought.
I have no problem with privet land if i had some to hunt i would not look at the public land.
I have no problem with outfitter or ranch. I could even see someone going to a large fence area say 2000 or more. If someone gave me a hunt for xmas or what ever in a fence operation i would properly go unless it is just a which deer do you want to shoot shop.

i do not have a problem with shows shooting bigger deer.
I just would like to see more of the hunting and not just the shooting.
Like ButchA a few post ago i would like to see more scrap more stuff like people looking for a good stand site.

You know know thta i think about it we need a show that is more of a scouting show.
That shows the asspectes of what we do before we shoot.
Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

And if ted really hunts high fence mainly it makes me realy think twice about watching his show
Old 07-24-2008, 06:01 AM

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

I just would like to see more of the hunting and not just the shooting.
Like ButchA a few post ago i would like to see more scrap more stuff like people looking for a good stand site.

You know know thta i think about it we need a show that is more of a scouting show.
That shows the asspectes of what we do before we shoot.
I don't know if thisquite qualifies, but the first part of the year I watched a lot of Mossy Oak's The Obsession Revealed when they were showing their turkey hunting shows. After each hunt they would dissect the hunt a little with "what went right" and "what went wrong". Not every hunt they showed ended in success. There were segments that were called something like "What would you do?"or something similar. I thought the show was entertaining and informative.

They just started their deer hunting shows this month and I've yet to watch one. If they have the same format as the turkey hunting shows, there might be some good ones during the season.

I've watched quite a few shows where the hunt is distilled down into one or two segments, but it you listen to the narration, you get a sense of how hard some of these guys hunt. The last Primos show I watched (for elk) they talked about they had been hunting for2 weeks before Will Primos got his elk with a bow. The last Realtree show I watched, David Blanton was hunting whitetail in Canada (maybe Alberta?) and hunted the whole week without filling his tag, but the next hunter they sent up there had success. I've seen turkey hunting shows with Eddie Salter that show footage from one successful hunt, but there will be off hand comments made like "we've been hunting for the last three days and haven't had any turkeys respond to us" or things like that. One of the best segments I saw happened a few years ago to Michael Waddell. I don't know where he was hunting, but he had anHUGE buck show up and he was hunting with an anterless only tag. All they could do was sit and watch. (I had the same thing happen to me last year on a special area hunt. Doh!) The camera was there filming so obviously they don't only shoot footage of big buck hunts.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

It would be a nice change of pace to see one hunting show based solely on hunting public land. Just to see the strategies they use. Im not just talking about Public land out west where there are thousands upon thousands of acres, im saying all types. Deer hunting Public land outside big cities (Like Chicago for me!) with heavy hunting pressure as well out west and smaller plots under 5,000 acres in the midwest. I wouldn't care if they bagged something everytime, but that would be a challenging hunt where we knew they weren't at some 10,000 acre farm. I hate when I watch these hunting shows and their guide tells them about the "3 180's and 4 170's" they've been seeing. Give me a hunt where they walk into a place with limited scouting and have to use their hunting knowledge and past experience to get a deer.A show like thatwould be impressive and a nice breath of fresh air to the hunting community. There's so many of us that hunt public land that is hunted by many others but there are rarely shows that cover that.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man i love watchin ted, but the sad truth is that he is almost entirely high fence with his hunting. But hell hes having fun so who cares, its entertaining.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen a couple of DIY hunts on public and private lands that were pretty good. I think one was on Driven 24/7 in Iowa and the others were on Lone Wolf's Whitetail Addictions. One other I saw this week was on Huntin Hard where two guys took a nice buck in NJ on public land. There are some good hunts out there andI think the DIY on Public/Private will become more popular.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Fork Horn

again ted hunts almost solely on his owned private ranches. very few hunts are fair chase.one ranch is next to hishome in Jackson, MI.. sunrise acres

i think most of us hunters are in the same boat.... that we would like to be taught more kind of on a step by step hunt. mainly what we are seing is a dream hunt... that these guys do dozens of times in a year... which again makes me less apt to spend my money on buying a video that i know i will not want to watch again because i learned nothing and only got to see my dreams being spent by someone else. why not hunt in reality once in a while... it would be reaffirming to see...
Old 07-24-2008, 10:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yet another example of Antler Inflation. To be a commercial success they have to be knocking down a great big buck, even if it is high fenced or a semi-tame "managed" deer. I'd rather watch curling.[&:]

Quick Reply: why not on public land

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.