Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are they really good??? >

Are they really good???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Are they really good???

Old 07-23-2008, 11:41 AM

Default Are they really good???

We all have seen the so called "pros" do it, Potts, Reeve, Miller, Waddell so on...are they bettter than most? Do they really understand deer? Or is it simply being put on stands that they have never seen and whack there is a 180" by some outfitter in KS or ILL or WY etc??
Old 07-23-2008, 11:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are they really good???

I think many of them were just in the right place at the right time. Some, like Chuck Adams really are better. I'm only speaking for myself here. I believe that if I were put on some of the stands you see these "pros" on I would stand just as good a chance at killing a monster.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 07-23-2008, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

Or is it simply being put on stands that they have never seen and whack there is a 180" by some outfitter in KS or ILL or WY etc??
That pretty well sums up their scouting. You have to remember that the guys you see on TV are hunting the very best whitetail ground in the country and to make it even better, it had been managed for years before they got there. I filmed for a few years, 90% of the time, me and my shooter had no idea what the stand we were going to looked like. Our guide drove us out, told where to go and what to expect. Most of the time the guide was dead on. You cannot compare your hunting skills or knowledge with guys you see on TV, apples and oranges. Also, remember that Waddell got his start with Realtree because of his turkey calling skills.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:51 AM

I like watching there shows, But I know average guys. That work 5 days a week and can still out hunt them. All of them are just the guys that got lucky or maybe followed there dream and seen it through. But there is other guys out there that could hunt circles around them guys any day of the week. They just don't either have the time or money. Or has to many responsibilities to done it.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

On a level playing field, I could out-hunt 90% of them. Maybe more.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

I think these guys put in alot more time then you realize... It's one thing to kill big deer consistantly, but to do it on Film is a whole new level... Sure they are hunting the best parts of the country, but still takes alot of skill as a hunter to get the job done on a consistant basis... Especially on Film...

Also, remember that Waddell got his start with Realtree because of his turkey calling skills.
I thought Waddell got his start with Realtree after winning a contest for a Free Hunt....??
Old 07-23-2008, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hvyhitter19

I think these guys put in alot more time then you realize... It's one thing to kill big deer consistantly, but to do it on Film is a whole new level... Sure they are hunting the best parts of the country, but still takes alot of skill as a hunter to get the job done on a consistant basis... Especially on Film...

Also, remember that Waddell got his start with Realtree because of his turkey calling skills.
I thought Waddell got his start with Realtree after winning a contest for a Free Hunt....??
No, he was a turkey caller. Here is a blub from http://www.realtree.com/tvshows/michaelWaddell.php

First off, tell readers how on earth you landed your current job with Bill Jordan’s Team Realtree?
MW:
Hunting has always been a big part of my life, so landing a job with Realtree was like a dream come true for me. I had won several turkey-calling competitions, and some of Realtree’s pro staffers had mentioned my name to Bill Jordan. I finally met Bill at a turkey-calling contest in 1994 in Perry, Georgia. I won that contest. After we met, Bill ended up putting me on Realtree’s hunting advisory staff.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:08 PM

I know there is a lot more to it than what we see, but I also know that they can't put in but so much hard work for the actual hunt because of travel time. They go from one place to another all season long.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 PM

I know Greg Miller andStan Potts were successful hunters before they were in the hunting industry. Greg Miller is an accomplished big woods bowhunter and was "do it yourself" on public land before landing his first job. While I agree with most of the comments, there are some exceptions. Most of the "pros" don't interest me though.

Quick Reply: Are they really good???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.