Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How I hunt the wind >

How I hunt the wind

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How I hunt the wind

Old 07-24-2008, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How I hunt the wind

Could you elaborate? How high up are you? Is it at the top of a hill? Are the trails very close in? etc
I've had this work in my favor as well. My stands are sometimes 25' up in a tree and my wind will blow over them at times when there close enough. When there farther away it doesn't work like that.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Could you elaborate? How high up are you? Is it at the top of a hill? Are the trails very close in? etc
I've had this work in my favor as well. My stands are sometimes 25' up in a tree and my wind will blow over them at times when there close enough. When there farther away it doesn't work like that.
I have a couple stands set up like this as well. The best example that I have of this is 24' up and the tree is at the highest point in the vacinity. I have had numerous deer come from the downwind direction and I have never had one wind me in that spot.

Another I am only 15' up but I am literally on the edge of a 20' drop-off (you can walk up it but it is difficult) so in effect I am 35' above the deer that would be down wind of me. I have also never been winded in that stand.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:20 AM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Another possibility is that you may be able to hunt a wind that is seemingly wrong for a stand if the wind is blowing OVERthe deerto a place of no concern. I have a couple of stands like this.
I have one stand that is 23' high in a narrow strip of brush. The distance from the stand to a plowed field (after harvest) behind my stand is 27 yards. The deer trail is 12 yards from my stand. I have another trail 14 yards in front of my stand. I hunt this stand with the wind in my face. By having the trail so close behind me the wind blows right over the deer and out into the field. I have shot bucks on both of these trails. I have a couple more stands like this but this illustrates the point.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Another possibility is that you may be able to hunt a wind that is seemingly wrong for a stand if the wind is blowing OVERthe deerto a place of no concern. I have a couple of stands like this.
I have one stand that is 23' high in a narrow strip of brush. The distance from the stand to a plowed field (after harvest) behind my stand is 27 yards. The deer trail is 12 yards from my stand. I have another trail 14 yards in front of my stand. I hunt this stand with the wind in my face. By having the trail so close behind me the wind blows right over the deer and out into the field. I have shot bucks on both of these trails. I have a couple more stands like this but this illustrates the point.
That's actually a great point we haven't hit on too much. My stand I referenced in the aerial is 23, 24' off the ground as well. Most of the time (I have to assume) is my scent is over the deer as well, under the dominant wind direction but to what length I'm not sure.

Honestly, in a great spot, sooner or later there WILL be a deer downwind even in a perfect wind. At least in mine. They come from anywhere at any given moment.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Site Buck Guru

You are right Rob. I learned a lot of this the hard way. In the evening, when the air cools and the wind dies down your scent hits the ground a lot sooner. I tried a stand like this once when the field wasn't plowed. As it got later into the evening, deer started busting me at 200 yards when they weren't an hour earlier.

Oh how I wish I had sprayed down!! [8D]
Old 07-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

And take a shower would not hurt[8D]
Old 07-24-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

In reference to wind shifts, what I've learned to do is when I have a favorable wind and it shifts during my sit, I'll switch my stand to the other side of the tree so now it's in my face again. That will work right?[8D][8D][8D]

Seriously, I do have several spots that are in some flat areas that I will set up 2 trees to watch the same trail/s and be able to move if the wind does shift. Usually the shift will happen before prime time, but if it happens during it's always a tough decision whether to move or not even though I know what the right answer is.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

In reference to wind shifts, what I've learned to do is when I have a favorable wind and it shifts during my sit, I'll switch my stand to the other side of the tree so now it's in my face again. That will work right?[8D][8D][8D]

Seriously, I do have several spots that are in some flat areas that I will set up 2 trees to watch the same trail/s and be able to move if the wind does shift. Usually the shift will happen before prime time, but if it happens during it's always a tough decision whether to move or not even though I know what the right answer is.
Bry just be sure you spray that side of the tree down before you move and your good to go!

Old 07-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

Bry just be sure you spray that side of the tree down before you move and your good to go!
You don't need to spray because the wind is in your favor again.