Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 who here still hunts with outdated bows? >

who here still hunts with outdated bows?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

who here still hunts with outdated bows?

Old 03-05-2003, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: who here still hunts with outdated bows?

What makes a bow outdated? Heck I don' t know. I meant just " old" .

I have an old 45# indian longbow too. And a 50# ben pearson cougar recurve that my buddy killed a deer with back in the 80' s. I' ve got an old browning wolf recurve that' s about 55# and has all the smoothness of a 2x4. My first bow was a 60" 45# Bear brown fox hunter recurve. The first bow I ever hunted with was a Bear whitetail hunter with the black riser and straight limbs made to look like they were wood.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

Hey Kodiakhuntmaster:

I hunt near Luthersville, GA right now. Actually, more specifically in the Rocky Mount area and also down towards Greenville. Do you know the area?

I sure do wish I could find a good club along the Flint River there. You wouldn' t happen to know of any, would you?
Old 03-05-2003, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

As of this year my Reflex Bighorn became obsoletebut is still a fantastic shooting bow!
However I am upgrading with the Reflex Buckskin for hunting and the Timberwolf for 3D.
I will keep my Bighorn for turkey and backup.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:32 AM

I have a 1994 Golden Eagle Pro Formula. I bought it used from a friend who only shot it a couple of times and was unhappy with it. So, I kinda bought it new.
I have my teenage son shooting my PSE Phaser II that I bought brand new in around 86. That thing still shoots great.
I keep wanting to update my GE, but when it comes down to the final decision, I usually end up staying with it.
Old 03-05-2003, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Formula 1,
Yes I know the area very well. I hunted there many times myself. What hunt club are you in? I was unoficially kicked out of a club on rocky mountain rd.

As far as a hunt club on the flint river, I work right on the river down in Thomaston. There are several clubs in the area but I don' t know any names.

And back on the subject of bows, Bigpapa, the reflex bighorn isn' t that old. My buddy bought one new and is still on his first half dozen arrows.
Old 03-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

It' s not my bow that is outdated...its the arrows....they' re aluminum. I got about 12 of them with my bow, so I figured I' d shoot them for a while. I' ll probably switch over to carbon before deer season this year
Old 03-05-2003, 09:54 PM

Still shootin' a 7 year old PSE XLR900 and still shootin' aluminums......why change when I get pass thru' s consistantly?
Old 03-06-2003, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im currently shooting a WAY outdated 2001 Hoyt Havoc But speed wise, im extremely outdated. Shooting 540 grain carbon arrows at 225 fps...but it goes through like a hot knife in butter
Old 03-06-2003, 03:19 PM
Fork Horn

I don' t know what you call old but my new bow is a Peason Spoiler II (60#). I bought it in 85' . I also use a Pearson Renegade (75#). But now I have the fever for a single cam bow. I' m looking at the Pearson Diamondback VX
Old 03-06-2003, 06:32 PM

Shot my first ever deer with a bow last two falls ago with an old Darton 400mx (14 years old I believe) that I bought at a yard sale for 10 bucks while my PSE was in the shop getting new limbs. I have no idea what it' s draw weight is and have no idea if it was tuned or not. I put maybe 15 arrows through it after a I bought it and it was shooting fist size groups at 20 yards with the three arrows that came with it. I put on a steelhead 100 and buried it 6 inches in the ground after a full pass through. My definition of an outdated bow is anything pre-1995.

Quick Reply: who here still hunts with outdated bows?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.