Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is a elk or mule deer "nose" as good as a whitetail? >

Is a elk or mule deer "nose" as good as a whitetail?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is a elk or mule deer "nose" as good as a whitetail?

Old 07-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Default Is a elk or mule deer "nose" as good as a whitetail?

I alway hear how good the nose of a whitetail is but what about elk and mule deer.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is a elk or mule deer "nose" as good as a whitetail?

I would argue that they are. I don't have scientifica data to back that statement up, but I have had plenty of experiences where those critters winded me from long ranges.

Let me put it this way... if you feel the slightest breeze on the back of your neck when trying to sneak up on an elk or mule deer, you might as well throw up your hands instantly because they've gotcha
Old 07-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Hey Jim...

I've read otherwise (Elk's nose is not as acute as a whitetail's).....but I'm not disputing your claim. Do you think what you describe "could be" from the lack of human interaction commonly associated with elk habitat?

It would make sense to me......since some of the guys who hunt big woods have similar issues with whitetails......that those of us who hunt where human scent is more prevailant don't have to worry about "as much".

Just a thought...
Old 07-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Hey Jim...

I've read otherwise (Elk's nose is not as acute as a whitetail's).....but I'm not disputing your claim. Do you think what you describe "could be" from the lack of human interaction commonly associated with elk habitat?

It would make sense to me......since some of the guys who hunt big woods have similar issues with whitetails......that those of us who hunt where human scent is more prevailant don't have to worry about "as much".

Just a thought...
I honestly do not know. The area that I have hunted elk and mule deer in used to be an enormous completely open area (open as in wild). Over the years it became more and more populated and more hunted. The hunting got pretty bad for a while due to everyone and their brother hunting around there. However, now it is largely owned by some mega developer who is building a golf course and monster homes around it. Apparently Tiger bought 2 lots there. Anyway, they are starting to see/smell people a lot more is my point, but I have not noticed any difference in there sensing abilities or reactions to their senses. However, I am certainly not doing an in-depth analysis either.

Like I said, I don't know if an elk can smell as few parts per million as a whitetail can, but he can certianly smell enough to make bowhunting for them a real challengeThey are kind of strange though. If you can get real close, seeing you does not bother them that much. However, if they smell you they don't even look, they are just gone, and by gone I mean run a few miles!

I think mule deer are harder to kill than whitetails. Their sense of smell is good and their eye sight is amazing.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Elk have one hell of a nose. I know the mountains make it tough on us hunters being our scent is going in every which way direction but to me there noses are excellent. Both areas I've elk hunted the elk had kick ass noses. One area has allot of hunting pressure and the other didn't at all. There not quite as good as a whitetail but there not far behind either. A Muley's nose hasn't impressed me much and to me it isn't nothing compared to a whitetail.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Couldn't tell you one way or the other, but I can tell you that I treat all of them the same when it comes to playing the wind.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

It is an elks "6th sense" you have to be aware of. Very good noses but I don't know compared to whitetails since I have no close up whitetail experience.

A muley will definitely bust you with their eyes before their nose.

My .02
Old 07-16-2008, 09:26 PM

I'll agree that they are equal, or at least close. But I do not think that their "survival instincts" are nearly as sharp as the whitetails. Far too manytimes I've seen elk, and especially mulies, get spooked and run 10 or 20 yards only to turn around for a full scaleinvestigation of the spook-source.