Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

what arrows?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:17 AM

Default what arrows?

What are your favorite arrows to shoot with broadheads. I have arrows now and theyre carbon express but someone told me that i should shoot broadheads with them because when i hot a deer they would shatter because they arent strong enough. They say the arrows you practice with are the arrows you shoot broadheads with so what are good arrows for shooting 85 grain field point and broadheads? Shoud i get wraps on them or custom veins?
Thanks
Old 07-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what arrows?

To make an accurate assessment of what arrows you should shoot we need to know things like the bow's peak weight and draw length. The length of the arrows, type of fletching, and weight of point.

Whoever told you that carbon arrows shatter when shooting an animal is living in the way distant past. Take a look around and see who is shooting what. Number one, if they were that bad they'd be against the law. Number two, if they shattered like you were told they would not be being bought by as much as 90% of shooters today.

I've shot a lot of carbon arrows over the years. Different brand and different quality. My first ones were back in 1979. In 1996 I went totally with carbons of different makes. All they've done over that span is improve in quality---and sometimes marketing ploys with some of the goofy changes in the couple years.

To date, after 12 years I still think that Easton ACC's are "the" best arrow going within a reasonable price range, for hunting and 3D and most field shooting. These are about as good as you are going to get and priced accordingly at $140+/doz. Most other carbon arrows will be priced somewhere between that and $60/doz. All things being said, at about $80 you can get something like a Gold Tip XT which is a pretty good arrow. There are lots out there. Go with midle of theroad and you should be fine.

Take this into mind. You must mount your broadheads and test them to ensure they do not wobble. No matter how good your arrows are they will not fly well unless the broadheads are aligned with the shaft and------pick the proper spine for your bow.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:50 PM

Default RE: what arrows?

I have a diamond edge 40-50#. I think my arrows are 27 inches.I dont know if thatw ill help at all.