Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Would you trespass to get to your stand? >

Would you trespass to get to your stand?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you trespass to get to your stand?

Old 07-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you trespass to get to your stand? UPDATE

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Serious question:

Is trespassing something a GW worries about? Or....is trespassing a matter for "other" authorities?

If someone was trespassing on my land....I'd call the Sheriff's dept.
Very good point Jeff. Here in Pa, a Game Warden has nothing to do with trespassing, they can't fine you just for that issue alone.If there is a game law violation on the private property, that's a different story. In Pa, trespassing in itselfis a Police issueonly.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

All i know is that in Illinois, you can be written up by a GW for not having written permission even if you have verbal permission. Dunno how it would go down in the books, but it would be a violation of some sort. I think that it really depends on the circumstances. If somebody is lurking around your barn at midnight then it is probably a police issue. But if you see somebody out in the middle of your cornfield with a shotgun and bird dog, i would be inclined to call the GW first.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Its the same thing here. In LA, you used to have your land posted, but after I left for the Army, sometime between 2003-2008, the law changed to where you HAVE to get written permission from the landowner, and that it can be enforced by GW's.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Dominant Buck

All i know is that in Illinois, you can be written up by a GW for not having written permission even if you have verbal permission.
That's a game law.
Old 07-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, I would assume that it would be a game violation, but it would be one that at least suggests tresspass. It would be interesting to see if county cops can enforce that in terms of encountering hunters along the road.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Would you trespass to get to your stand?

Tresspassing is Tresspassing!

Anyone that does it is breaking the Law.

Dan
Old 07-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Different states have different laws. The different law enforcement agencies have different concerns and worries. In Maryland you had to have written permission on you. If a game warden stops you and you don't he'll write you up. In NY, if it isn't posted you can go on it. They can ask you to leave and you have to or you can be arrested. I just couldn't walk on someones property without getting permission first, asking them where to park and all that stuff. People up here tend to go by the "If it isn't posted rule". I just can't do that. Sheriffs in Maryland are mainly concerned with serving warrants etc. Up here they'll write you a speeding ticket or whatever.Seeing asheriff in Maryland while driving a car was like seeing a fire chiefs SUV, it was of no concern if you were speeding or whatever. Different states.... different rules. The defining rule should always be, respect the guy who pays the taxes. It's his damn land for Pete's sake. There shouldn't be any worry about what a GW can or can't do. Treat the landowner with respect and ask. All he can do is say NO.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 AM

if you cant get permission stay out. i always looks better on the other side of the fence.
Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would just ask him... But since your hunting so close to the property line, I would also consider asking him if you can retrieve your animal if you hit one and it jumps the fence.... If he says no, I would consider hunting 'deeper' into your property...
Old 07-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Typical Buck

but its so tempting to go along the neighbors field and cut in the 25 yrd to the stand (its that close to the property line).
I brought this up in and earlier thread. Yourstand ison the property line, sowhat are you going to do if you shoot adeer and it runs into the Alpaca field?You going to get permission to retrieve it? Or are you going to trespass and retrive it anyway? Think about it.

Quick Reply: Would you trespass to get to your stand?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.