Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Top 3 Mechanical Broadheads >

Top 3 Mechanical Broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Top 3 Mechanical Broadheads

Old 03-04-2003, 09:04 AM

Default Top 3 Mechanical Broadheads

Every year I get tired of shooting the same field tips at the same target over and over and over again. So last year I started shooting my 75 Grain Rocket Wolverines into water jugs, ply wood, fruit, foam insulation board, stacked card board, shaken up beer cans, what ever I could find to hold my interest for a while. But I couldn' t find many 75 Grain Broadheads to shoot. This year I am switching to the 100 grain tips. I wanted to get your opinion on what you thougt were the top 3 100 Grain Mechanical heads. I want to buy a pack of each and shoot the crap out of them this summer to see which one does the most damage and holds up the best. I was thinking of: Rocket Sidewinders, Rocky Mountain Snypers, and NAP Spitfires.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Top 3 Mechanical Broadheads

Rocket Steelheads, NAP Shockwaves and Rocky Mountain Snypers....

...going by 5shot' s tests that is.

With my particular setup I have also had good success with Hammerheads and Naildrivers though neither of them is for every setup out there.
Old 03-04-2003, 09:24 AM

Throw you some Vortex Mini-Maxes in there for grins and giggles. They are a 3 blade with a 2" cut. I' ve used them for years and they are an excellent head. They are very tough, very accurate and I' ve gotten great penetration out of them. The blades can get dulled during shipping sometimes, so I always make it a point to sharpen them before hunting.

Post your results with the various heads so we can see how they performed.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

FYI
Rocket and GKF Mechanicals are the same exact head.
Rocket makes the Reaper, Lil Devil and Demon heads for GKF.[>:]
which are all High Quality heads.

BTW does any body know what happened to the Rocket website?
It has been down a while.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:55 AM

Deer902,
I hope there' s not beer in them there cans you' re shooting. That' s alcohol abuse.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:04 PM

Rocky Mountain Snyper, Rocket Steelhead, and the new Rocky Mountain Ironhead XP would be my choices.

Old 03-04-2003, 01:29 PM

I shot the Steelheads the year before last. I don' t like how the head sits back so close to the closed blades. I worry about deflection on quartering shots. Thats why I thought about the Sidewinders this year. But I do like the solid one peice head, Which the Sidewinders don' t have. I want to stay with a less than 2" cutting edge because my bow is shooting 260 fps and I worry about losing penetration with a big head.
And yes the beer cans are full. I have beer still in my fridge from the holidays. I' ll never drink it all so why not shake it up and shoot them. I had cans exploding 6 feet in the air last year. I was impressed that the Wolverines fully opened on tomatoes. And I shot one into a 3/4" piece of plywood, the end result was a broadhead I couldn' t use anymore but the head was sticking 1/4" out the other side. I stack insulation board and put them into a box for my broadhead target and I can take out individual layers of the material to see just how far the head penetrated at different distances.
Old 03-04-2003, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think that 5-shots test are superb, however I personally like Rocket Steelhead, Wasp Jackhammers and Rocky Mountain Snypers in that order. No offense 5-shot. It' s all about what give you confidence in the field.

Kelly
Old 03-04-2003, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are lot' s of good mechanicals, but of the ones I have tested the steelheads, Snypers and shockwaves have impressed me the most. Some other good heads are sidewinders, spitfires and jackhammers. I also like the vortex line of heads but most of them have super large cutting diameters. I know there are also several new and promising heads coming out soon as well. It was already stated, but my tests are only a starting point, and I think you are doing the very best thing. By picking a few differnt heads and testing them yourself you will see what works best for you setup and gives you the most confidence. Let us know what you end up with after the smoke has cleared.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:43 PM

Hi,

Rocket-----1.Steelhead. 2.Hammerhead. 3.Sidewinder.

Quick Reply: Top 3 Mechanical Broadheads

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.