Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Homemade tree stands. >

Homemade tree stands.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Homemade tree stands.

Old 07-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Homemade tree stands.

When I lived in Georgia we made some ladder stands out of conduit, but they were mainly for gun hunting and weren't more than 12 feet to the platform. As someone has said, you're better off just buying some cheap ones that will hold you. Cheaper, more portable and all that. You'll use a zillion welding rods and cut andpound conduit until your blue making a stand. Just buy 'em on sale.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gutshotem

Hey Schultzy, can you at least post a pic of one of your stands?
My brother is a welder and can get the metal for nothing where he works. He just doesn't hunt much, so he doesn't know much about how to make a good stand.

For you guys that are buying the cheap stands, D*ck's usually has a sale a couple times a year where they put the basic comfort zone stand on sale for 29.99. I have bought about 6 so far.
I have a couple of the Comfort Zone stands from Dick's. A little small but hard to beat for 29.99, they are also pretty quiet with minimal squeaks.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kwilson16

I admire your desire for self sufficiency but...

With the current price of steel, it is impossible to make something for less than you can buy it.

Here's an acceptablealuminum hang-on for less than $40. It will be lighter, safer and more proven:

http://shop.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=450120

I agree, unless you have the material laying around and you want the satisfaction of building your own, you can't build one cheaper than you can buy one.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

My cousin builttwo, I will geta pic of one either tonight or tomorrow and post it on here. Its pretty nice, a little on the heavy side but sturdy and strong!
Old 07-14-2008, 10:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is one style of hang ons that I make. I call it a leg stand being its got a longer leg on the bottom that I use to adjust to crooked trees so the stand is still in a level position.

Over all picture of the stand.

You can see how the chain set up is and how I connect the chain.

Here's the spike that goes into the tree on the leg part of the stand.

Here you can see how the leg of the stand is able to swing to adjust to the leaning of the tree if it was growing at an angle. Where the leg connects to each side of the stand is a small rod that is wleded in between the frame. The leg part is a pipe shaft a tad bigger then the rod so it can swing freely when I move it.

You can see the spikes that hold it in the tree. These are grade 8 bolts that I sharpened the ends on and welded to the back frame of the stand.

Pictures really don't do justice here. Its one thing to explain it and post a picture and another to see it 1st hand. Some of these stands are 20 years old, I've had a few welds come loose but hardly any. Always keep a close eye on your portable stands whether they are store bought or homemade.