Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Form and draw length PICs critique #2 >

Form and draw length PICs critique #2

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Form and draw length PICs critique #2

Old 07-11-2008, 07:15 AM

Default Form and draw length PICs critique #2

Well I went home yesterday after printing all the critique and worked on my form all evening shooting arrows, taking pictures and noting how comfortable and repeatable I could do things. The first thing I worked on was droping my front shoulder in the pocket which instantly made a different and more stable comfortable feel. Next I rotated my elbow in /which in turn rotated my hand so that the back part of the grip was bearing mostly between my pointer finger and thumb with some bearing on the meaty part of my thumb. My knuckles although hard to see from the pics are close to a 40 degree angle I would say, from the plane of the bow, it seemed if I tried to rotate any more I ended up torquing the bow and it felt very unnatural and hard to maintain let alone be able to repeat again. In shooting I was putting out vane stripping groups as long as I RELAXED MY FINGERS. In some of the pictures it looks like I am leaning back a little but I do not feel like I am, I think it is more of an optical illusion with the wrinkles in my shirt. My draw length feels comfortable especially after droping my shoulder and rotating my elbow, so what do you all think? Improvement or back to the drawing board.
AT the end of the evening I was turning small plums into sauce at 20 yards about 50% of my tries (kind of fun to shoot something other then the target).

Old 07-11-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Form and draw length PICs critique #2

I like the picture of your grip from the rear. Grip looks pretty good. You could probably turn the hand out a little more, but it looks fairly comfortable as is.

The draw length of the bow is still about 1" too long, maybe a hair more. Try to get the nock directly under the eye in the vertical plane. Looking at the picture from the side shot the apex of the string where the nock attached should be approximately halfway between where the nock and fletching are right now. This would move the string closer to the end of the nose. Try shortening the loop, too.

Your drawing elbow is still below the position of the hand which means you are over extended.

That's it for now.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

1. I still have no idea

2. How is Woody's Taxidermy? Do they do good work?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

1. I still have no idea

2. How is Woody's Taxidermy? Do they do good work?

TG .....please wear a PLAIN T-shirt for "Form and draw length PICs critique #3"
Old 07-11-2008, 10:34 AM
Fork Horn

Yup, what BGF said. Shorten draw about 1" and put the tip of your nose on the string. This acts like another anchor point. Otherwise looks good to me!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:38 AM

I thought you guys would like the shirt, I guess it is too far away to read "we mount your heads and stuff you beavers".
Old 07-11-2008, 11:33 AM

I am not second guessing anyone here as I know a lot of experience floats around herein a day but when I was at my local pro shop and had him fit the bow to me he actually cut my arrows a 1/2 inch long thinking (by looking at me) that I may want to move up 1/2 inch in draw length. When I post the pictures here people are telling me to shorten it, is it maybe the photos that skew things? I am a little confused and want to build off of a solid base and good position, I hate to waste time going down the wrong road. Is draw length position something written in stone or can one factor in feel and comfort in as equals. Can I just change my backstop at the end to get a 1/2 inch?
Old 07-11-2008, 11:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd really recommend getting a wrist strap. You are holding the bow very lightly and I'd be willing to bet that at or duringthe shot release, you grap the bow to some extent.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get a bigger target and you can relax more...that tree ain't very big of a target incase you miss!