Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Wraps no Wraps

Old 07-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wraps no Wraps

ORIGINAL: TG78

One thing I might add as a benefit is that most say you will get better adhesion from the vane to the wrap then from the vane to the shaft if you are using carbon arrows. My local shop talked me into them for this fact and for visibility during and AFTER the shot. Onestringer is a great place to look for wraps and Mindy can make almost anything you want. Their wraps are about 1.1 gpi so just make sure that this weight in addition to all the other things on your arrow will work with your current spine setup (as advised to me by others). Have fun.
I would disagree with that. If good glue is used and the fletches are put on correctly they adhere to carbon as well as anything. I have pulled arrows through targets and the vanes remain on. If the local shop you speak of cannot get fletches to adhere just as well on carbon as they do a wrap then you may want to check into other shops in your area.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have done wraps once befor and they where ok. But i have fletched hundreds of arrows. They both stick about the same. If anything straight on te shaft is better becuase i can pull them straight throught targets without messing them up. If u use a wrap it might mess up the wrap. I had one that pulled the fletching and the wrap half off.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:56 AM

Brucelanthier I respect your disagreement about sticking in you personal experiences but I do have to defend my shop. The gentlemen that I deal with there has fletched more arrows in two years then I will in two lifetimes (and he is in his 30th year)and in his opinion using all different types of glue and arrows through the years he gets better adhesion to wraps then bare carbon shafts. I would like to add that I have read through multiple posts here stating that they get better adhesion as well. I had put up a similar post a while back and one of the more popular responses that I got for a benefit was better vane adhesion. Again I mean no disrespect Bruce but I have to defend my guy as I place a lot of merit on his opinions.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

GMMAT what else do they do besides look cool "to some people" and they show what kind of blood is on the arrow... You still have to wait 30 minutes before you can go track the animal. To me they're a waiste of money... Just what I think
Old 07-10-2008, 11:45 AM

Hoghuntingunlimited I could see a lot of scenarios where you would be able to do a short retrieve on your arrow to examine the blood without spooking or tracking the animal yet. Then based on the blood seen you may be able to decide how much longer or shorter you might wait.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

GMMAT what else do they do besides look cool "to some people" and they show what kind of blood is on the arrow...
You obviously didn't read my post.
Old 07-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like them for visibility/personalization reasons, but I won't be using them on any new arrows because it really adds weight where I don't want it.

Dan
Old 07-10-2008, 11:55 AM

Dan I know as you said you don't want the weight back there but I am curious if you have tested your arrow flight with and without. I am not attacking your statement but more curious how it changed them for the worse.
Old 07-10-2008, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TG78

Dan I know as you said you don't want the weight back there but I am curious if you have tested your arrow flight with and without. I am not attacking your statement but more curious how it changed them for the worse.
I have had trouble on some setups where I could not get as tight of groups as normal out at 40 and 50 yards. So I had to go to 125's to tighten things up.

Lots of variables in building a great flying/grouping arrow/broadhead combination and just one of them is FOC, but I never overlook it.

This year I plan on shooting the New Grizz Trick and it's only available in a 100 grain model. Stepping up to 125 grains would not be possible with that particular model

Dan
Old 07-10-2008, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

GMMAT what else do they do besides look cool "to some people" and they show what kind of blood is on the arrow...
You obviously didn't read my post.
The dude just wanted to know if they were worth the money and I said no and they make your arrow shoot diffrent than without a wrap so I say if you don't need to look cool... than don't get them

I don't need to look cool

Quick Reply: Wraps no Wraps

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.