Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Standing corn.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Standing corn.

How many of you are used to having the corn all harvested by the time you start hunting? But not this year because of all the rain this spring and late planting. I know I will be in that boat this fall.

Do you have a plan or are you going to change tactics at all? I have found the deer have everything they need in the corn except water, and pretty much live there. I plan on keying in on the water sources and planting something they like better than corn to lure them out.(I hope) I am also hopeing for a good acorn crop to draw them out of the corn.

Any thoughts???
Old 07-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Standing corn.

buckhunter, I hunt west Texas and wish I had your problem but corn wont grow in rock....
Old 07-09-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted standing corn with a rifle a bunch of times. I headed into the wind and across the rows in blaze orange. I killed one doe that way and passed up a bunch more. I could have killed most of them with a bow. My dad poked a bedded fawn in the hind quarters with his gun barrel in a corn field once.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Typical Buck

Buckhunter- When they plant corn where i hunt , i hunt the same because i know they'll come to where the white oaks and red oaks are which is where one of my best stand is located. I also have a stream running past my stand also.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

I also forget tosaythe corn normally doesn't get harvest untill the end of oct.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-09-2008, 06:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Our corn here is up into December some years... Early November is the earliest it comes off around where I live.

I see more deer coming out ofthe cornin the evenings than I see go into it..... Food for thought.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Late Oct to Nov is when our cornusually comes out. But the deer do come out. Try watching the edges and fence or treelines running next to the corn.I usually start checking these for tracks. Hopefully the bucksare starting to get does on their minds and start moving out a little more.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:26 PM

Around here the corn starts getting harvested the second week of Sept. and on usually we have the corn out of our fields the week before bow season opens Sept. 22. If you can find their routes going to and from this cut corn fields it is on.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Normally the corn is out in my area by early Oct. This year I'll be lucky if it's all out by Thanksgiving, some of it is only a foot tall now. If a buck gets a doe cornered in there you might not see them for a day or so.

I hope they want a varied diet, and get thirsty.

Quick Reply: Standing corn.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.