Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 best way to secure ladder stand >

best way to secure ladder stand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

best way to secure ladder stand

Old 07-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default best way to secure ladder stand

ok i have a 100 dollar ladder stand that i will be useing i will be on public land

what is the best way to lock it up to keep it from getting stolen

should i use a chain or cable what kind of lock should i use
any way i can keep them from gettintg up on the platform to cut the chain or cable

Old 07-09-2008, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best way to secure ladder stand

A chain and lock will only keep honest people honest. If some one really wants to steal your ladder stand, all they have to do is bring a pair of bolt cutters with them and your stand is not theirs. The good news is, I have found that many people won't bother with stealing a ladder stand because they are so heavy and much harder to get out the wood quickly and unnoticed. However, you are dealing with public land, so who knows. If you have no other option than a ladder stand (climber) then you have to hang it knowing that it could be gone any day. If you make it thru the season, consider yourself lucky.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best way is to put it waaaay back where most hunters won't bother to go, chain it at the top and take out the support brace.

And don't mark your path with flag tape.
Old 07-09-2008, 11:51 AM

I would go with a lock on stand and bring a portable ladder with you each hunt..that way it's not eye level and if they want it there have to use a ladder or climbing stand to get it. most people that steal are lazy and want things that are easy to take.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:45 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-09-2008, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

I use a cable to lock top section to tree.I remove the last 5 feet of ladder and stash it close by.Its pretty darn hard to climb with the last section missing.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

i thought about a piece of plywood to keep them from getting to the chain from the ladder like run the chain through some holes in the plywood then you would need a ladder to get to the chain

then at the end of season take a light weight ladder in and and due the chain from back and your gone
but what thief would carry a ladder with them

then i though of some wood on the ladder rungs to keep them from climbing drop the wood on the ground till your done hunting

Old 07-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Ok here is the best I have seen so far.

If your ladder stand touches the tree in several places use the bolts with one way screw in heads and bolt them through the stand in several pre drilled holes into the tree. The bolt can be skinny but make it pretty damn long so it goes in real deep and is hard to just rip out. Take some very Heavy chain and lock that sucker up to the tree also. Brace the bottom of the stand so that it remains in place as if you were sitting in it. This will allow you to remove the ladder(that you have bolted together) so that they have no way of getting up there unless they have a means to climb the tree. If at all possible use a tree that your stand goes OVER some limbs and there are as many limbs and sticks below it as possible. This deters the thief in the fact that he has to trim branches while climbing up a tree to steal your very well locked up stand.

The best part of this method(true story here from my friends stand) is the rubber snake. Put a fair large dollar store rubber snake in the seat. When the poor bastard climbs up and from below puts his hand up on the seat he grabs a rubber snake. My buddy went to his stand one year and noticed that several branches were broken under it. He then found a note writtenon a3 Muskateers wrapper with this to say "your a f------ a------". we found the snake a month later about 30 feet from the stand. To bad they shot the crap out of his seat cushions but he and I would have paid money to watch that on a game cam.

One other thing I do to my game cams and stand is write on them they are password protected or how they are locked up. It seems to deter them if they know it is just going to be to damn hard to steal from you they go elsewhere. At least no one has stolen our goodies yet.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

nice lol never thought about rubber snakes before will have to get some
i can not bolt anything to tree in my state
ORIGINAL: Snook384

Ok here is the best I have seen so far.

If your ladder stand touches the tree in several places use the bolts with one way screw in heads and bolt them through the stand in several pre drilled holes into the tree. The bolt can be skinny but make it pretty damn long so it goes in real deep and is hard to just rip out. Take some very Heavy chain and lock that sucker up to the tree also. Brace the bottom of the stand so that it remains in place as if you were sitting in it. This will allow you to remove the ladder(that you have bolted together) so that they have no way of getting up there unless they have a means to climb the tree. If at all possible use a tree that your stand goes OVER some limbs and there are as many limbs and sticks below it as possible. This deters the thief in the fact that he has to trim branches while climbing up a tree to steal your very well locked up stand.

The best part of this method(true story here from my friends stand) is the rubber snake. Put a fair large dollar store rubber snake in the seat. When the poor bastard climbs up and from below puts his hand up on the seat he grabs a rubber snake. My buddy went to his stand one year and noticed that several branches were broken under it. He then found a note writtenon a3 Muskateers wrapper with this to say "your a f------ a------". we found the snake a month later about 30 feet from the stand. To bad they shot the crap out of his seat cushions but he and I would have paid money to watch that on a game cam.

One other thing I do to my game cams and stand is write on them they are password protected or how they are locked up. It seems to deter them if they know it is just going to be to damn hard to steal from you they go elsewhere. At least no one has stolen our goodies yet.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

I have this sticker on all my stands, as well as on my trailcams. Although I only hunt private land, I think it would deter someone from going through the trouble. Especially if you have a chain and padlock, or screws into your bracket into tree.

Quick Reply: best way to secure ladder stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.