Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lone Wolf Assault or Alpha Hang on? >

Lone Wolf Assault or Alpha Hang on?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lone Wolf Assault or Alpha Hang on?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default Lone Wolf Assault or Alpha Hang on?

Hey guys, I bought a Lone Wolf Climber last year and I like it so much, I decided when I bought another hang on I would likely get a Lone Wolf. Well that time is near, and I hunt public land, alot of walking. I cannot decide between the original Alpha or the newer Assault hang on. I need you help.
Now I'm 6'4" 220lbs. I'm afraid the assault might be to small for me. What do you think?

I like the bigger seat and platform size of the Alpha, but the lighter weight and being able to squeeze it into some crappy little trees too.

And what about the comfort on these? Can you hunt out of them 4 or 5 hours comfortably?

As it sits right now, if I had to choose right now I would buy the Alpha.

Thanks for any direection you guys can push me in.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lone Wolf Assault or Alpha Hang on?

For the extra $10 get the Alpha. You'll appreciate the bigger seat and platform when the time comes. The Assault is great if you're a smaller guy, or need the ultimate in light weight to pack in/out on a frequent basis. Even at 12.5 lbs the stand is very lightweight, and you can fit it into plenty of trees. I don't think I've run into a tree that I"ve wanted to put one in yet that I couldn't because it was too big.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought an assault a month ago,because I intend to cover quite a bit of ground with it.I believe they are weight rated beyond your weight.If you are covering significant distances and putting it up and taking it down a lot I would purchase the assault.If you are not doing those things than the Alpha makes more sense.Sportsmans guide is having a great sale on the assault right now $120,they usually sell foR $180.You will definitely want to supplement the seat with another cushion for longer sit's.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to own both, but never did like the smaller platform on the assault so I sold it. Still have the Alpha and never plan on getting rid of it.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:38 PM
Typical Buck

Alpha... You will get it into small crappy trees no problem.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've hung my Alpha in trees so small I questioned my sanity... and like Justin said, you'll appreciate the extra foot space.
Old 07-08-2008, 08:56 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks you guys.. It will have to be packed in and out everytime I hunt out of it, which will probably be 20% of the time. I refuse to leave a stand up where I hunt to due to an exceptionaly high theft rate.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:25 PM

I just got the new Sportsman guide catalog and they have the assault for a nice price. It is only $119.95. I thought that was a really good deal.