Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is the flag on our hunting gear Disrespectful?? >

Is the flag on our hunting gear Disrespectful??

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is the flag on our hunting gear Disrespectful??

Old 07-09-2008, 02:08 PM

Default RE: Is the flag on our hunting gear Disrespectful??

I would simply like to know from Bewanajim where a flag does "belong" since it is not ok to go on an arrow but it can go under his name on a 9-11 plaque. If someone wants to preach to me on where a flag should or should not go then I will go back to the original doctrine on what is and what is not ok as adopted by the United States congress. I
Old 07-09-2008, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

TG, according to Title 4, Section 8, Paragraph (g), you are correct. Good call on a part of the code that is frequently overlooked.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I guess an American Bald eagle with a red and white back ground is close enough to an American a flag for you. Ilost friends there, so at best leave that one alone.

And If I were to preach to you I would make sure it was clear enough that not only would you remember my name but you would also never againmake the elementary mistake of misspelling it.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

IMO, if you want the flag on your arrows, go ahead. It's still a mostly free country.

Eventhe post office violates the flag code.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:42 PM

As long as you wear it for the veterans over here with me, those who never made it home,keep it out of the dirt, wear it and display it with pride and patriotism it doesn't matter to me. Just remember all those people we have sacrificed at home and on foriegn soil when you display the flag and you are alright in my book.

Thanks to the Supporters of Freedom,
Justin

Old 07-09-2008, 03:21 PM

Bawanajim, I typed your name wrong as a typo (first time I have ever seen one on this site LOL) not as a stab at you or a sign of disrespect. First and foremost I am not an apathetic American and even though I did not know anyone directly that died on that day I was impacted just as much as ANYONE. There is not a day that goes by that I do not think about what happened, I did not and will not forget. But with that being said you say "Flags belong on a pole in your yard" like it comes from some code or etiquette and if you use that code then you CANNOT have that symbol under your name. By code it would offend some people as a missuse of the flag. When you use the word "belongs" in you statement it isa little more then suggestive. I guess what I would have liked to hear from you is something likea flag on you arrow would offend me because at this point in time your rules are just your opinion and nothing more. I wanted to put my countries flag on my arrow as a sign of pride and memory which is no different then your plaque under your name; both not fitting under the United States Flag Code.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:03 PM

Here is your flag ettiquite. These are the common do's and don'ts. If he wants to wear a flag patch on his sleeve to show his patriotism then this is fine.
There are an incredible amount of resources available to anyone wanting to know. But never forget the freedom of speech. This topic really seems to be heading in a matter of opinions and interpretation.

[edit] Standards of respect
[ul][*]The flag should never be dipped to any person or thing, unless it is the ensign responding to a salute from a ship of a foreign nation. This tradition comes from the 1908 Summer Olympics in London, where countries were asked to dip their flag to King Edward VII: the American team flag bearer, Ralph Rose, refused, teammate Martin Sheridan famously proclaiming that "this flag dips to no earthly king."[1][*]The flag should never be displayed with the union (the starred blue canton) down, except as a signal of dire distress in instances of extreme danger to life or property. [2][*]The flag should not be used as "wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery",[1] or for covering a speaker's desk, draping a platform, or for any decoration in general (exception for coffins). Bunting of blue, white and red stripes is available for these purposes. The blue stripe of the bunting should be on the top.[*]The flag should never be drawn back or bunched up in any way.[*]The flag should never be used as a covering for a ceiling.[*]The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed, or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard.[*]The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, firefighters, police officers, and members of patriotic organizations. (Note that on Army uniforms, where the flag is put on the sleeve of the uniform, the flag patch is displayed with the stars facing forward, in the direction the wearer is facing. This is done to give the impression of the flag flowing in the wind while being carried forward across the battlefield. This is known as the "Reverse Field Flag." Also note that many athletic teams appear to have ignored this rule, notably, Major League Baseball placed the flag on the back of all uniforms following the 9/11 attacks, and the US team in the 2006 World Baseball Classic wore a flag patch on their left sleeve. For Independence Day and 9/11 2008, with the exception of the Toronto Blue Jays, All MLB teams will wear navy-blue versions of their hats, with an American flag imposed inside their own logo.) Flag lapel pins may also be worn.[*]The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.[*]The flag should never be used as a receptacle for receiving, holding, carrying, or delivering anything.[*]The flag should never be stepped on. [/ul]

[/align]A flag painted on the side of a dumpster, a violation of flag etiquette.[/align][/align][/align][ul][*]The flag should not be draped over the hood, top, sides, or back of a vehicle, railroad train, or boat.[*]When the flag is lowered, no part of it should touch the ground or any other object; it should be received by waiting hands and arms. To store the flag it should be folded neatly and ceremoniously.[*]The flag should be cleaned and mended when necessary.[*]If the flag is being used at a public or private estate, it should not be hung (unless at half mast) during rain or violent weather.[*]When a flag is so tattered that it can no longer serve as a symbol of the United States, it should be destroyed in a dignified manner, preferably by burning. The American Legion and other organizations regularly conduct dignified flag-burning ceremonies, often on Flag Day, June 14.[*]The flag should never touch anything beneath it. Contrary to an urban legend, the flag code does not state that a flag that touches the ground should be burned. Instead, the flag should be moved so it is not touching the ground.[3][*]The flag should always be permitted to fall freely. [/ul]
Old 07-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the wrap on an arrow is not a flag and only a representation.

I have had fallen family in Normany, Korea and Viet-Nam, I watched my dads insides rot from agent orange to the point where he will never hunt again, and have watched my fallen fellowsoldiers be unloaded from a planeas their children cried ,after we drew a line in the sand.

I have no problem with anyone who wants to show a bit of patriotism withthe representation ofthe symbol of freedom..... Wear it proudly and display it with pride.......Many have paid foryour right...
Old 07-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Spike

bawanajim > Anybody can see that is a supposed to be an American Flag.

TG78 > Go ahead and use the wraps. I am currently serving in the U. S. Army and I will gladly defend your right and the right of others to proudly display the colors. All I (and every other service member I have personally spoken to face to face on this issue) ask is that you treat the colors with respect. The arrow wraps are not an actual flag, but a representation of it. If it was anything to be worried about, Congress would be all over it.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

i did not see where it says not to use or buy a flag made in a communist county like china
needs to be added

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.