HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Core areas (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/251917-core-areas.html)

_Dan 07-07-2008 06:35 PM

Core areas

Ok, the public land thread got me thinking......

What do you consider a bucks core area and how large/small do you think it is/can be?

I think we tend to get caught up in thinking of "xx" number of acres and picturing it in a square. I believe a core area is small, but can cover a decent "stretch" of land....sort of oblong.

Also, define core area in your own words.

Germ 07-07-2008 06:36 PM

RE: Core areas

I have come to the conclusion there are too many varibles, each buck is differnet.;)

What about multiple core areas? Does he have a safe house?

MOTOWNHONKEY 07-07-2008 06:40 PM

Somewhere between his brisket and his ass hole.

_Dan 07-07-2008 06:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Absolutely. I think a bucks core area can and will change depending on the seasons and hunting pressure. His summer core area is different that his fall area...for a number of reasons. Such as, hunting pressure, weather, foliage cover, etc.

GMMAT 07-07-2008 06:41 PM

Like I said in the other thread......I had 7 encounters with my '07 buck over 3 seasons.....in an area you could throw a 25 acre (probably less) blanket over.

Was his area bigger than this? Who's to say (that KNOWS)? I just know I was in an area that was "part" of his core area. Of that I'm fairly certain.

In reality.....I could throw a 5 acre blanket over5 of the encounters......but it expands if you count the 1st, 2nd and all of my gamecam photos of him.

Who really KNOWS?

dukemichaels 07-07-2008 06:42 PM

What do you consider a bucks core area and how large/small do you think it is/can be?

I think we tend to get caught up in thinking of "xx" number of acres and picturing it in a square. I believe a core area is small, but can cover a decent "stretch" of land....sort of oblong.

Also, define core area in your own words.
I don't consider a core area to be anything different than you really Dan. Except I believe its much larger I guess than you believe. Encompassing several hundred acres or more.

They can be 100 yards wide.. and stretch for 2 miles I believe.

They can be 1/2 mile wide and go 1/3 a mile.

Either way.. I just do not believe they are held up to a mere 200 acres. A small core area is more like 500 in my opinion.

I also believe they constantly move.

My square analogy in the public land thread was just a mere painting so that many can see just how small 1,000 acres is.

GMMAT 07-07-2008 06:44 PM

His summer core area is different that his fall area
There's something else I've been saying all along....and I've been chastised for it. Where the deer I hunt in the fall/winter....."summer".....is very different.

_Dan 07-07-2008 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

They can be 100 yards wide.. and stretch for 2 miles I believe.

They can be 1/2 mile wide and go 1/3 a mile.

Either way.. I just do not believe they are held up to a mere 200 acres. A small core area is more like 500 in my opinion.

I also believe they constantly move.

My square analogy in the public land thread was just a mere painting so that many can see just how small 1,000 acres is.
I wasn't refering to your square analogy, but it seems like a lot of people get caught up in picturing it as a square.

I am also a firm believer that the core area can be very long and narrow. Consisting of the bedding area, key travel corridor and food source. The home range and be anywhere around that where the can travel during the rut and such.

I think we're on the same page here Mike. ;)

early in 07-07-2008 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Absolutely. I think a bucks core area can and will change depending on the seasons and hunting pressure. His summer core area is different that his fall area...for a number of reasons. Such as, hunting pressure, weather, foliage cover, etc.
Dan, I agree withyour assessment. I also think it can/will change depending on conditions/seasons. I still maintain, a true "core" area is a rather smallarea where a buck feels very secure and spends the bulk of his time there.

_Dan 07-07-2008 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: early in

ORIGINAL: _Dan

Dan, I agree withyour assessment. I also think it can/will change depending on conditions/seasons. I still maintain, a true "core" area is a rather smallarea where a buck feels very secure and spends the bulk of his time there.
I would consider that his core bedding area....not his core area. I believe they are two different things.