Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Core areas

Old 07-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Core areas

Like I said in the other thread......I had 7 encounters with my '07 buck over 3 seasons.....in an area you could throw a 25 acre (probably less) blanket over.

Was his area bigger than this? Who's to say (that KNOWS)? I just know I was in an area that was "part" of his core area. Of that I'm fairly certain.

In reality.....I could throw a 5 acre blanket over5 of the encounters......but it expands if you count the 1st, 2nd and all of my gamecam photos of him.
From Page 1, Justin/Duke. I know he wasn't a monster....but he was 4.5. I think his fall/winter core was REALLY small. It pretty much had to be for me to see him so many times.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:29 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: Justin

I believe every buck is different. Some can probably range from several hundred acres and some less than 100 acres. I believe it not only depends on the buck's personality but the conditions at hand. The terrain where he lives, the hunting pressure in the area, available food and bedding areas, etc.
I believe this also. There is a difference between his home range and his core area. I read an article by some big buck expert, I can't remember whom, where he stated that some old, mature bucks can have a core area as small as 40 acres. Their personality is a big factor in this.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:33 PM
Site Buck Guru

I also believe that they could have 1 or more core bedding areas within his core area. Further, I believe that they have a back up or plan B core area for when or if things get too uncomfortable for them. These are usually located within their home range.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

What you are saying is a buck's core bedding area.. I got it. Not a buck's core area. Which is what we all were happily discussing.
I don't follow my friend. Maybe we need to tone down the use of the word "core". To me, a buck's "core" area is the one in which he spends the vast majority of his time, whether that is bedding, feeding, or doing whatever else. If you're discussing his entire home range, then that's a different story. Or are you talking about something in between the two?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

a core area as small as 40 acres
A core bedding area maybe.

But I sincerly doubt a buck has a core area ever of this size. No chance.

He would have to have food, cover, and water throughout the year all on this 40 acre tract. A core bedding area at a certain time of year.. yes. But without exeption never a core area.

Sure the dude saw him always on the same 40.. but that proves nothing.. unless of course he saw him nearly everyday.. not 2 or 3 times in 3 years always in the same area.

No chance.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Dominant Buck

To me, a buck's "core" area is the one in which he spends the vast majority of his time, whether that is bedding, feeding, or doing whatever else.
Holy ****! This is SOOoo close to deer hunting "gospel", it's scary.

Ooops. Sorry boss.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Okay, let's assume a buck has mutliple core bedding areas throughout the course of the year, which I am sure many do. Assuming those bedding areas are several hundred yards apart, perhaps more at times, does that entire area encompass his "core area" or just his "home range"? Or are they one in the same?
Old 07-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

a core area as small as 40 acres
A core bedding area maybe.

But I sincerly doubt a buck has a core area ever of this size. No chance.

He would have to have food, cover, and water throughout the year all on this 40 acre tract. A core bedding area at a certain time of year.. yes. But without exeption never a core area.

Sure the dude saw him always on the same 40.. but that proves nothing.. unless of course he saw him nearly everyday.. not 2 or 3 times in 3 years always in the same area.

No chance.
No, I meant a core area. It is possible for one to have everything he needs within 40 acres.

Don't know if the dude saw him nearly every day, but it's possible the buck was radio collered.

You can believe whatever you want, but these are my beliefs.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

To me, a buck's "core" area is the one in which he spends the vast majority of his time, whether that is bedding, feeding, or doing whatever else.
Holy ****! This is SOOoo close to deer hunting "gospel", it's scary.

Ooops. Sorry boss.
Sack riding at it's finest.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't follow my friend. Maybe we need to tone down the use of the word "core". To me, a buck's "core" area is the one in which he spends the vast majority of his time, whether that is bedding, feeding, or doing whatever else. If you're discussing his entire home range, then that's a different story. Or are you talking about something in between the two?
Ok here's how I see it.

A bucks core bedding area may be about (lets say) like 80 acres. A relatively small area.

Of that 80 acres the buck spreads out unto his core area.. we'll say like 200 acres in any one direction to get to food, water, and social issues at times.

Then their are 12 mos. of the year. And the buck will travel within that larger home range (lets say) another 300-400 acres in any direction. This being his home range in which he moves to for again... cover.. food.. etc. Winter months are a good example of this.

Obviously the home range is the distance total a buck has to go to achieve his basic functions in life. His core area the smaller area within that range where he spends that time doing his duties that he must meet (food, water etc) during specific times of the year. His core bedding the little area he finds within that core area (at that time of year) in which to bed safely.. but always with the wind in his advantage.

Thats what I am saying.. and I think thats what most writers and "pro's" try to elude to.

Quick Reply: Core areas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.