Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opinions on Crossbows >

Opinions on Crossbows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opinions on Crossbows

Old 07-08-2008, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opinions on Crossbows

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Since compounds are used by roughly 90% of all bowhunters, how many would support voting to limit bow seasons to only traditional bows?

Would you throw away your high tech compound and pick up a recurve or longbow to be able to hunt with 90% fewer people in the woods?
Art, buddy you know how easy that would be for me to say yes, especially now but I wouldn't. I would fight it because you know my feelings........a recurve, longbow, compound bow are all bows to me. I'd fight for one just like the other.
A crossbow isn't a bow to me in function or spirit. Combine that with how screwed up PA really is and that's my personal stance in a nutshell.

We're not creating NEW hunters in PA we're potentially transposing hundreds of thousands of them into a different season so the not wanting new hunters is not a valid argument. HOWEVER if all of a sudden 200,000 rifle hunters wanted to pick up one of the first 3 mentioned bows and join us in archery season I would just swallow that pill and welcome them in. All they have to do is pick up the weapons that are already classified as leagl for that season and have fun.
Same crap that was spewed when Hollis Allen invented the compound because he had arthritic shoulders, lol. So, how does it feel to be shooting a bow designed for the handicapped/disabled? For the most part, only the compound shooters object to xbow inclusion. The trad guys know the baby went out w/ the bathwater in 1969, and Allen and Jennings were dumping the bath water, lol. You anti inclusion guys are long on straw man arguements and real short on facts. Worked for a long time, but doesn't cut the mustard anymore.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

I live in ohio and the facts are right on. doesnt affect deer heard like all these people say. all i am hearing is "more hunters in the woods" well where i hunt if you control your hunters like we do you dont have that. you have to have permission right?
Old 07-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My statemade crossbow hunting legal about two years ago.

Has this new law affected my bow hunting? Not really...
Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Banned

Matt / PA I hunt a lot of Arkansas public lands. I might see 1 crossbow for every 10 compound - probably 1 for every 20 to be honest. Oh sure, PA IS different, i know, but our public lands get hammered with rifle hunters too, yet even WITH crossbows in archery you see few people in archery season

if you have private lands leases, or a club, or your own land, its close to irrelevant that crossbows are now allowed to everyone anyways - right ?
Old 07-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Banned

wow this ended in a hurry
Old 07-09-2008, 08:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rybo,

You fellas need to make up your minds about the status of your state. Some say too many deer, others not enough deer. Some say plenty of public ground nearby that is crowded but they hunt it because they don't want to bother with a long drive to a place where it is less crowded. Sorry dude, but it pretty much sounds like the same old public lands hunting blues.

Whether or not i bowhunt is irrelevant. The fact of the matter is that crossbows have been introduced in a lot of different states with differing conditions and no bad has come of it. My "dog in the fight" is that I refuse to try to tell my fellow hunters (no matter where they are) that they can't hunt with a perfectly suitable weapon that is in common use in lots of places.

When you choose to hunt public land, you are pretty much resigning yourself to varying degrees of inconvenience. If that gets to be too much for you, then put some effort into finding another spot, buy or lease your own land, or take up golf. Anything but the constant whining about how the crossbow hunters are gonna pee on your parade. It just gets silly after a while and probably does more to get people to support the use of crossbows than any set of actual facts other folks could provide.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Whether or not i bowhunt is irrelevant.
And don't bowhunt in Pa, either.

I didn't get far on supermodels.com with my opinion on stilettos.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'll bet that you didn't get far if you were trying to tell them that theyCAN'T wear stiletto heels[8D]
Old 07-09-2008, 09:19 AM
Banned

actually that he doesn't bowhunt gives him an out of the box view without anything pulling him to one side or the other

The fact of the matter is that crossbows have been introduced in a lot of different states with differing conditions and no bad has come of it.
fact

As men, I cannot fathom ya'll not looking at facts, using reasoning and making good decisions based on those things. Instead I see a bunch of selfish, emotional guys crying about "their" season, "their" public lands and its laughable, it really is.

I use to be anti-crossbow when I was younger because P&Y told me to be and after being challenged to WHY I disliked crossbows, my REASONS and FACTS behind my views I changed because there are no facts to not allow them in archery season.

G&F commissions are figuring this out nationwide. Welcome crossbows, they'll not do anything but good for your states archery season (allowing them for everyone, most states already allow them for certain people )
Old 07-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

I think what everyone is missing is that most hunters are conservative, meaning they do not like change. I know I sure as heck don't like change in things that effect or could possibly effect me.The xbow people are using the same argument as the homosexual left with homo marriage.It is a change from the norm which is unsettling to a conservative.I am not trying to equate the two or make this political,I am just weighing in onthe perceived mindset of the people involved. I don't have a dog in this fight.

Quick Reply: Opinions on Crossbows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.