Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scouting for hunters? >

Scouting for hunters?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scouting for hunters?

Old 07-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Scouting for hunters?

I was wondering if any of you guys who hunt public land do any scouting to seeif otherhunters might have plans of hunting in the area you've picked to hunt? For instance, where vehicles may be parking, trails trampled down where others have walked through, litter left behind[:'(], marks on trees from previous stands/shooting lanes already cut, trails marked (ribbons, tacks[:'(]), tracks left in the mud,or even trail cams set.
I do this sort of thing so I have an idea of spots I may want to avoid. This can save you a lot wasted time setting up in a spot where another hunteris likely to show up and ruin your hunt.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scouting for hunters?

Early, I also watch the patterns of other hunters very closely on the land I hunt. I stay as far away from them as I can. I look at maps and plot out areas that only a very small percentage of other hunters would be willing to hike into due to sheer distance or extreme terrain. I am not some kind of deer killer supreme, but I do seem to get on alot of deer and get shots when others don't in the areas I hunt. I will walk the extra 500-600 yards just not to see another person all day.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: virginiashadow

Early, I also watch the patterns of other hunters very closely on the land I hunt. I stay as far away from them as I can. I look at maps and plot out areas that only a very small percentage of other hunters would be willing to hike into due to sheer distance or extreme terrain. I am not some kind of deer killer supreme, but I do seem to get on alot of deer and get shots when others don't in the areas I hunt. I will walk the extra 500-600 yards just not to see another person all day.
Brett, that's basically whatI was getting at. Knowing where other hunters are going, or not going, can give you a better idea of where deer are more apt to be less disturbed. This will probably offer better hunting for you. That's how I got on to my favorite spot on the public land I hunt. I found a spot further back than most guys are willing to walk. Not that it's "remote", but far enough back that lazy hunters won't go there.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Earlyin, I have witnessed another phenomenon on the military base I hunt. We have to go to a check station to get our passes. Many of the other hunters will speed as far away from the station as possible to get to the remote corners of the base(and then they walk in only 100 yards to my amazement). That leaves the areas right around the check station virtually hunterless. Two of the last three does I arrowed were very close to the check station.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt public land alot, and I do take note of where others are, but one thing I've found is there is almost always someone that hunts close by.Almost everytime I find a real good setup I only hunt it a few times before someone walks up on me or I find evidence that others have been there. I have a lot of spots set up so I always have somewhere to fall back on. Between the excessive amount of duck hunters and other bowhunters and squirrel hunters there is never a time when I can go and no that I won't run into someone. Therefore, I never leave anything that can be stolen in the woods unless absolutely necessary. These people like to steal others stuff.

I usually run into someone every 4-8 times I go, 12,000 acres and you can walk right to the centerand still run into people. Its just part of public land hunting I guess.
Old 07-06-2008, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think a lot of folks hunting public land don't scout. They just go into the spot they hunted last year or the first good spot they see. I think it would be more profitable to make sure you haveseveral "plan B" spots so that if you get crowded you can move.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Fork Horn

I think a lot of folks hunting public land don't scout. They just go into the spot they hunted last year or the first good spot they see.
I dunno, I have found around here, most put in a lot of hard work because they have to on public land. I know I became a much better hunter after I started hunting public land. I had to if I wanted to have any success.

Old 07-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Typical Buck

Big bucks survive on public land by learning where other hunters don't go and spending the majority of there daylight hours there . Sometimes thats the middle of the most remote area, and sometimes its over looked stuff right along the side of the road between two parking lots.
I think on public land if you look for good deer sign, or terrain, you are going to find that other hunters are noticing that too... I learn the land intimately during winter and spring and find the little hidden hideouts where the bucks do not get disturbed.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Some times you just cant avoid it. Years ago i had scouted a place on a hill that had an old oil well road running to the top of it. The well had been caped and no longer used. I had placed a stand about 50 yards from it where nasty thicket and open woods met. It was ate up with big rubs. Opening day of gun season <years ago was going to find me there. I was to walk in on the well road then cut in to my stand. As i neared the summit i started seeing lights and hearing noise. It was a fresh deer camp that had just rolled in the night before [:@]I told the guys i had a stand in there andnot to mess with it because i was going elsewhere and would return to take it down. I killed a small 1.5 buck that morning but when i returned to get my stand they said a huge buck had ran past them in there stands with them missing and strolled past where i should have been [:@]you just never know where
Old 07-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

All you have to do to keep others out of a public area you want to hunt is follow the steps below:
1. Buy a pair of bib-overalls;
2. Buy a banjo;
3. Sit on a stump in the area you plan to hunt for a few days wearin'your bib-overalls while playing the banjo.

Then, you don't have to worry 'bout anyone coming around!

Quick Reply: Scouting for hunters?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.