Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ticks

Old 07-04-2008, 11:28 AM
Typical Buck

Default Ticks

What tick repellents do you guys use while hunting? In my area, it is infested with ticks. It's not uncommon to walk out of the woods with 30+ ticks on you[:-] Thanks
Old 07-04-2008, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Ticks

I believe its called permetheran not sure about the spelling. Its designed to be used on cloths and equipment only. It works about as good as anything ive found. Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:17 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: passthru79

I believe its called permetheran not sure about the spelling. Its designed to be used on cloths and equipment only. It works about as good as anything ive found. Hope this helps.
X2 I have not had a live tick on me or in my house since I started using it 3 seasons ago.

Bob
Old 07-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I judged Dog Trials it was the only thing that saved me!

http://www.wingsupply.com/shop/Scripts/prodViewSKU.asp?SKU=RP326

Dan
Old 07-04-2008, 03:07 PM

I am in the woods every weekend throughout the year. Permanone or Permethrine (permanone is really permethrin) is the ONLY repellant to be using! The cans are roughly $6(wally world sells them). the cans are 5% and do not last long. You must completely spray all of your clothes including socks, then you won't have any problems. If you can find them, there are military impregnation kits for treating cloths, the kits have two small bottles of 40% permethrin in them and a large green bag. NSN 6840-01-345-0237. Pour one of the bottles into a hand pump sprayer and add water then spray your clothes before going into woods.

Here's another secret for you all. The aerosol can you buy at walmarthas 5% permathrin and there is not much in the can. Go to the garden center and look at the termite/ant killer in the gray quart bottle, look at the ingredients! A whole quart of 5% permathrin for $14.00! Put in pump spraybottle and save yourself allot of money.

Also did you know that those expensive little vials you buy to put on your dogs back for fleas and ticks (K9 Advantix etc) contain 5% permathrin?
Old 07-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I always sprayed the Clothes I'd be judging in a day or 2 ahead and put them in a plastic bag until I put them on the day of the Trial.

The Stuff works absolutely Great!!

Do not spray on your skin!

Dan
Old 07-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: crazedbowhunter

What tick repellents do you guys use while hunting? In my area, it is infested with ticks. It's not uncommon to walk out of the woods with 30+ ticks on you[:-] Thanks
x4 I got a can of this at Wally world for a couple bucks in the camping goods area and use it religiously now
Old 07-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys, i am going to look into that.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is there any scent to it????? Bears have a great nose and am worried they would smell it. 30 ticksa day is nothing!!!!!! The bear I shot had thousands I mean 1000's of ticks on it. When I hit the woods I wouldd have at least 100 ticks in a 4hr period. Today I tried a deet repellant when scouting and it did NOTHING to the ticks. If it works so good then I'm going to Wally world tommorrow.[8D]But to buy it by the quart
Old 07-04-2008, 10:32 PM

Who on here was talking about Deet??? Deet is a completely different chemical that you put on your skin. Permethrine goes on your clothes and kills them on contact. As a backup you can put deet on your skin but your right deet does not do a good job on ticks! But again no one is talking about deet!

Quick Reply: Ticks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.