Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 $175 surcharge for flying w/ SKB Rectangular Bow Case!!? >

$175 surcharge for flying w/ SKB Rectangular Bow Case!!?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

$175 surcharge for flying w/ SKB Rectangular Bow Case!!?

Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 AM

Default $175 surcharge for flying w/ SKB Rectangular Bow Case!!?

I just booked my trip to Ohio in November with Delta airlines. I have flown there the last three years to bowhunt. I always check 2 pieces of luggage(suitcase &SKB rectangular bow case). I expected to pay the new $25 surcharge for the second piece of luggage, but the Delta agent saidany piece of checked baggage whose total dimensions(length+width+height) exceed 62 inches will be assessed $150 surcharge. Thats in addition to the $25 surcharge for the bow case being the second checked bag!

I have never been charged before for flying with the SKB rectangular bow case even though its total dimensions exceed 62 inches (46 L + 19 W + 7 H = 72inches)

Have any of you run into this problem yet this year with any airline ??

Thanks,
SS
Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: $175 surcharge for flying w/ SKB Rectangular Bow Case!!?

I sure as heck hope not. That’s the case I fly with. A couple years ago I flew delta with no issues. I am flying NorthWest Airlines this year. I purchased my tickets early enough that I get the standard checked items with no extra charges.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:23 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Send it insured with UPS. It will have a lot less chance of getting lost, you will have a tracking number and know exactly where it is, there won't be 15 people opening the thing and rummaging throught it and it will be cheaper.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:41 PM

Good idea w/UPS. Check another airline.I believe that Southwestdoesn't charge for 2nd bag. They shouldn't charge you to cancel. Still might be cheaper to cancel than pay the 150.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's what I fly with as well. I fly Air Canada anddidn't have that problem last year, but that's before fuel really went through the frigging roof!! I'll be looking into it though. I hate surprises!!![:@][:'(][:'(][>:]
Old 07-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in
I hate surprises!!![:@][:'(][:'(][>:]
They're just never good are they?[:@]
Old 07-02-2008, 01:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: huntingson

ORIGINAL: early in
I hate surprises!!![:@][:'(][:'(][>:]
They're just never good are they?[:@]
I just checkedmy situation out online. Air Canada says if you booked before May 15th you go by last years baggage regs. First 2 bags up to 50lbs are FREE. I booked in March, so I'm good to go!I'll pay$25 for being over weight, butI'm used to that.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

It could be that what he stated was policy but not practice. I know that I have called ahead in circunstances like that and have been told the same thing but when I got to the airport got charged nothing. It will all depend on who is checking you in.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

All the airlines are now using the baggage trap to make extra money. If they didn't have bags going over the 62 inch rule, they'd lower it to 55. Your bag is just like selling a seat when none is available. I think a lot of folks will start shipping bows and clothes and boots UPS or FedEx or something. Much safer, easier on the equipment and it'l GET there. Seems like just about every hunting show lately someones bags, gun, bow or clothes got lost by the airline. I think it's probably some anti working at the airport and says, "watch this, this guy is going hunting in Maine. I'll send his bags and bowsto Portland, Oregon". Fill up the bow case with undies, clothes etc. When Len went elk hunting out west they shipped everything UPS to arrive just before they did. When they left, they put it back in the boxes and had UPS pick it up.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

I shipped mine UPS to Colorado when I went out there 2 years ago and it worked out great. These airlines are trying trying to make up for the cost of fuel.

Quick Reply: $175 surcharge for flying w/ SKB Rectangular Bow Case!!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.