Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big Buck Barometer >

Big Buck Barometer

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big Buck Barometer

Old 07-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Big Buck Barometer

If you are in fact ALWAYS (always as defined sometime during the season) seeing the largest deer your area has to offer each year, then your deer are really, really stupid.
I had to read that a few times, jack. "Really, really stupid"? I get your point.....but I'm not sure I'd go that far (just my personal opinion).Your claimdoesn't give the hunter (hunting a particular animal) much credit.

In general, though....I see your point.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: huntingson
I think you are absolutely right. In the end it comes down to priorities, situation andcircumstance. I could hunt areas with bigger bucks than my farm, but I have other priorities that limit the time I can spend there (staying employed and trying to keep from becoming divorced are the top 2). I'm not complaining. I just think it comes down to what are you willing/able to do to make it happen.
This is a great post!!

Sure, it's "possible" that the land you're hunting holds P&Y deer but we all know some areas hold FAR more than others. So yeah, it can be said "just hold out for a booner" or "go find the booners" but to what extent and time does one need to do this in an area that simply doesn't hold that caliber deer? I dare say that the folks who have no problem "holding out for a booner" would become quite disenchanted and disheartened with this "game plan" if they hunted in the areas where those deer just aren't found.

I cantell you alltomorrow that I'm going to "hold off" shooting a buck until it's at least a 140in deer KNOWING full well I'll probably see one that bigwithin a year or two. I don't think I'd make that same statement if I knew it would take me 20 years before I even saw one much less had a chance to kill one!

I can honestly say that in all the years I've hunted exclusively here in Illinois (over 20 years) I've seen at least oneP&Y (125in or bigger) deer while hunting. They many not have all been in range or even during the bow season (some sighting happened during the gun seasons) but I've seen big deer every year for as long as I can remember. And this isn't even in the "choice" areas of Illinois. How anyone can hunt here in Illinois and NOT see at least one deer that size in that many years is either doing something extremely wrong or is sleeping in their stand.........
Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

One thing i think we can agree on is that unless we go and hunt with one another, we don't "know" what its like in different areas. Just because a guy is seeing 150+ bucks every day doesn't mean the deer are stupid, maybe hes glassing them from 1/4 mile away in a field. We just simply don't know unless we experience it first hand.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

ORIGINAL: GregH
Google "record book bucks of Pennsylvania, NC, SC, NY etc" and see what you come up with. They may not be as common as in other places but there are bucks scoring 160+ being taken from these places.
That's the point.

I'm just saying that we all should temper our expectations according to what we see, not what's listed in the record books.

Otherwise, we're just setting ourselves up for a magnanimous letdown.
Well, if I had just went by what I saw for the first 18 years of hunting, I'd still be shooting smaller bucks. By looking at the record books and seeing that they do exist would hopefully cause one to change his tactics and start hunting differently or in a different place. You can have two places, basically adjacent to each other and one will out perform the other. The record books are a good starting place to plan your strategy of where to start looking. They also give one hope by letting them know that big bucks do exist in certain places of their state.

The above is meaningless unless ones goal is to start taking mature bucks. If it is your goal to hunt for a mature buck the record books can help verify whether you are wasting your time in a certain county or you are simply hunting wrong and not seeing them.

My point is........ don't only go by what you see. You may be doing something wrong.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Site Bouncer

Well, if I had just went by what I saw for the first 18 years of hunting,.
Greg.....You REALLY never saw a 125in (P&Y) deer in the first 18 years of hunting??
Old 07-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

There's a very distinct reasonwhy you stay on the west side of the PA/OHline.
Resident hunting license... I do hunt PA from time to time andknow quite a fewwho hunt there...One example is two brothers whodo a lot of videoing and in factshot a150+ (among other nice bucks) with the bow that was on one of the Drury videos.... They don't live in Allegheny county either.

Ryan has laid down a couple, Matt/PA, Kidd, remember Muzzyman?... Heck he laid down a few fine PA bucks.....

I am just saying they are there..... For sure..... No doubt in my mind.... Are they on your specific land? That I do not know... But they are "there".

2004 statistics show PA as the #8 producer of P&Y bucks.... You guys were only a few years deep into AR's then.... Numbers don't lie..... and the numbers say PA was #8 in 2004....

5 days, and I saw more quality deer over that span than I'd seen in hundreds of stand-hours in PA,
Heck imagine what those PAnumbers could look like if you got to hunt the rut there... You are comparing apples and oranges with a pre rut PA hunt with a Ohio rut hunt.....

[/align]
Old 07-02-2008, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

What you see, whether personally or trail cam pics, is proof of certain deer being there. What you do not see, and claim not to be there, is an educated guess, at best.

That being said, don't give me the BS that "other" mature deer do not live in or near your hunting grounds, when in fact, you have no proof. You are going by an educated guess at best and I don't care how else you try to see it.

LT
Old 07-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Site Bouncer

I'm still hung up on Greg's statement because my observations over the last 20 some odd years have been QUITE different.....

Greg,

In those 18 years you didn't see a 135in or bigger deer, where were you hunting? Were you hunting the same land you are now in Illinois?

I'm just trying to get a grasp on how anyone in Illinois hasn't at least seen a P&Y (125in or bigger) deer in 18 years of hunting.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

By looking at the record books and seeing that they do exist would hopefully cause one to change his tactics and start hunting differently or in a different place. You can have two places, basically adjacent to each other and one will out perform the other. The record books are a good starting place to plan your strategy of where to start looking. They also give one hope by letting them know that big bucks do exist in certain places of their state . . . the record books can help verify whether you are wasting your time in a certain county or you are simply hunting wrong and not seeing them.

My point is........ don't only go by what you see. You may be doing something wrong.
I agree, Greg. That's kinda the point. People need to understand the trophy productivity and frequency in their home counties before they go out there expecting to see a 180.

And you'll find out that when you finally do make the move to a Trophy-heavy area, you'll see different results almost immediately. It's not necessarily that you were doing something "wrong" at home, it's just that you were hunting a certain caliber of deer in an area that simply didn't hold enough of them to realistically give you a mathematical chance.

Obviously, this is why many huntersdumpthousands of dollars every year, intotraveling all over the U.S., instead of staying home and hunting in their own back yards.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

By looking at the record books and seeing that they do exist would hopefully cause one to change his tactics and start hunting differently or in a different place. You can have two places, basically adjacent to each other and one will out perform the other. The record books are a good starting place to plan your strategy of where to start looking. They also give one hope by letting them know that big bucks do exist in certain places of their state . . . the record books can help verify whether you are wasting your time in a certain county or you are simply hunting wrong and not seeing them.

I agree, Greg. That's kinda the point. People need to understand the trophy productivity and frequency in their home counties before they go out there expecting to see a 180.

And you'll find out that when you finally do make the move to a Trophy-heavy area, you'll see different results almost immediately. It's not necessarily that you were doing something "wrong" at home, it's just that you were hunting a certain caliber of deer in an area that simply didn't hold enough of them to realistically give you a mathematical chance.

Obviously, this is why many huntersdumpthousands of dollars every year, intotraveling all over the U.S., instead of staying home and hunting in their own back yards.

Bingo!

Quick Reply: Big Buck Barometer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.