Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Just about have target panic licked!!! >

Just about have target panic licked!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just about have target panic licked!!!

Old 07-01-2008, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Just about have target panic licked!!!

I have not been on here for a while. Mostly because I've been so discusted dealing with target panic. I've had it for about 3 years now. I've tried just about everything and I think I finally figured out how to make my mind calm down.

I did exercises where I'd imagine I had my bow and would hold my hands up like in full draw and use my left index finger as a pin. I noticed that I even had issues in this mock exercise. So I started forcing myself to hold my finger on the target. I would walk around and draw my imaginary bow and try to decrease the amount of time it took me to force my finger on the target. Once I got that to where it would take me a couple of seconds I moved to the bow. I litterally made myself hold the pin on the target dot without releasing for as long as I could hold the bow drawn. Tonight and for the first time in 3 years I was able to consistently make 4/5 arrows touch at 20 yards. The one arrow was a relapse after I started getting excited that I was doing it correctly. I then went on to do another 4/5 and I stopped when I did a 3/5 touching at 20 yards.

I plan to continue until I can get all my arrows touching then I'm going out to the second and thrid pin.

I know this may sound trivial to some of you but this is a real accomplishment. I can't belive how much of a better shot I am now that I'm not trying to fling my pin onto the target. Last year I was able to put 5 arrows in a kill zone at 30 yards by the end of the year and it was a real struggle. So I would limit myself to 20 yards. Didn't see but one deer last year (crowded public land) so I never got a shot. I may be able to do it this year.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just about have target panic licked!!!

3 years!?Seriously?You are a MUCH better man than i am--if i had trouble with anything for 3 years,i would stop doing it!jmho.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

yep 3 years of putting the pin right under the target and flinging it up at the target and releasing. I was OK at it but obviously this way is much better. I am able to be more accurate than ever.
Old 07-01-2008, 04:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never understood "target panic" I feel for those that get it but just don't understand it. I mean raise the bow, aim for the target, slowly squeeze the release.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Dominant Buck

AND.....to trust your "float".
Old 07-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

I thought it was target panic. I was unable to bring the pin up to the target. It was like someone was holding my bow down. It was all mental. I was flinging because that was the only way to get my mind to let go of that block.

Eh...call it what you want. I'm on the road to recovery.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Saxman1819

I thought it was target panic. I was unable to bring the pin up to the target. It was like someone was holding my bow down. It was all mental. I was flinging because that was the only way to get my mind to let go of that block.

Eh...call it what you want. I'm on the road to recovery.
That is target panick.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:46 PM

ORIGINAL: MOTOWNHONKEY

I never understood "target panic" I feel for those that get it but just don't understand it. I mean raise the bow, aim for the target, slowly squeeze the release.
You're a lucky man.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, that is target panic, I had the same symptoms last year. I could draw my bow with no intention to shoot, go straight to thedot and hold steady. When I drew to shoot, my pin would stay about 7 or 8 inches below the dotandI couldn't bring it up. After struggling with it for 20 seconds or so I would jerk it up and shot at the same time. TFOX's advice cured mine.

Quick Reply: Just about have target panic licked!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.