Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How big of a threat are coyotes? >

How big of a threat are coyotes?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How big of a threat are coyotes?

Old 07-01-2008, 02:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How big of a threat are coyotes?

I'd take one down if I got the chance.

Old 07-01-2008, 02:18 PM

I never pass on a shot at a yote.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not a big fan of yotes either really.. in fact I would say I hate them.

But killing an animal based on hate.. is not as appealing as it sounds. Ive taken a few down.. and each time.. I feel wrong for doing it. Killing just to kill is a hard thing to do.

(I am now going to leave and visit my wife in the bedroom to correct any thoughts you might have that I'm anything less than straight.)
Old 07-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Site Bouncer

I've enjoyed Coyote hunting for some time now, We have a pretty healthy population in Illinois. Yea, they are opportunistic hunters and will attack deer if the situation is right but they aren't the "pack hunters" in the true sense like Wolves. We have so many here that just last night while I was working (in my basement office) I heard one running through my yard just outside my open well window. It was about 2:30am and I went up to see if I could see him in the tall grass field behind my house but I couldn't. Here's the kicker......I live in a SUBDIVISION! Where I live there has been more and more development and house building in the last few years to blow your mind. All this building has been displacing the Coyotes but they still find a away back to that "target rich" environment behind my house where there are rabbits by the dozens. It's not uncommon to hear them howling all through the night over fresh kills. It makes me laugh when I have to explain what that "eerie awful noise" was to the neighbors just to see the "will they attack" looks on their faces!....I love it!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would love to down one myself!
Old 07-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

A fawn mortality study recently done in PA showed black bears preyed more on fawns than coyotes did.
Do you have any idea who did that study? I personally don't believe that for a minute. Coyotes FAR out number bears. That's why I'm a non believer.
I remember reading an article about yotes decimating (sp)herds of cattle up in Alberta years ago.[:@]

Old 07-01-2008, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Penn state did the study with the PGC.Actually the numbers were very close between the bear and coyote predation.50% of the fawn mortality came from predation.Alot of people mistakenly think that predators kill 50% of the fawns.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Edited

Ok I was off by a little it was yotes 18, bears 16 in the main area. All I remembered was bears were a bigger impact than people thought.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/view.asp?a=465&q=152750
Old 07-01-2008, 03:50 PM
Typical Buck

Here in Southern New Jersey our deer population isnt the best. We have a lot of coyotes though. In the past 5 years i have been seeing less and less deer. That could be due to more hunting pressure and development but also i believe coyotes play some part in it. I never pass up the oppurtunity at a coyote. They are an extremely smart and witty animal and are a blast to hunt. Also they kill turkeys quit often. Shot one last turkey season as he came running into my decoy spread.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

I would def not pass up a shot at a coyote here in PA but with all the time I spend in the woods every year from fall through spring I have yet to have a shot at one. I've seen 2 that were no closer than 80yds and they were on the run b/c they knew something was up. I don't think they have nearly as much of an impact on the deer as people here in PA think, people always just look for a reason our deer herd is the way it is in some places and instead of blaming the people who need blamed they blame coyotes, but thats a whole diff story. I have heard about the study on the bears killin more fawns and i think thats 100% the truth. I started hunting ohio and they have 10times more coyotes than PA and a whole heck of a lot more deer. But what they don't have is bear. I also know people who hunt whitetails in montana and it's the same way there, they see coyotes all over but no bear and they have plenty of deer. I think it's time to let us shoot bear throughout archery here like you can in NY and get the bear numbers in check a little better.

Quick Reply: How big of a threat are coyotes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.