Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Question??

Old 06-29-2008, 05:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question??

Surely you are not suggesting that pressured deer will move more during daylight hours than non pressured deer.
"I" am not suggesting anything....but it's what the show was referring to. It said that whitetail DOES would become MORE active (and yes...in daylight hours) when pressured. Bucks would, indeed, flee the area for a while or become more nocturnal.

Maybe the deer you were hunting were taking a different route to get to the field you were hunting....and arriving later. That would mean they had to be on their feet MORE in the daylight...altering their route in doing so.

To me...this makes sense. What they're basically noting is.....does aren't prone to go nocturnal due to pressure.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe the deer you were hunting were taking a different route to get to the field you were hunting....and arriving later. That would mean they had to be on their feet MORE in the daylight...altering their route in doing so.

To me...this makes sense. What they're basically noting is.....does aren't prone to go nocturnal due to pressure.
So, if I am to follow this logic, a pressured doe will get out of her sanctuary bed area earlier so she can take a longer route to get from the same point A to point B she was going to/from before the human intrusion.

She is now arriving at the field laterwhich means sheREALLY took a much longerroute since she had to have left earlier to get more of that daytime movement under her belt as opposed to

A)just leaving her bedding area at the same time and taking an alternative route, or

B) taking the same general route but waiting untilcloser to dark before getting on her feet or

C) just go find a different bedding area and travel route or food source altogether.

Two of these scenarios would MAINTAIN daylight activity and one would DECREASE daylight activity, so I guess they are wrong, huh.

And according to your belief, in my case, after she feeds for a whilein the dark, she circles back on the new route only to come in on the old route 30 minutes to 2 hours after dark and gets her picture takenon a trail camera so as to make me THINK she went nocturnal so I won't catch onto her new route and her increased daytime activity.

And you say these animals aren't as smart as us?

And am I wrong to then conjecture from your beliefand The QDM show's conclusion that if my goal is to shoot does, that all I need to do is to keep PRESSURE on them and keep moving around to different travel routes between bedding and feeding(after all thats all you gotta know anyway)and if my hunting area is big enough (which in my case it is)that I will see MORE activity than I did on the very first day when a human hasn't been in for months?

If so, the original poster's question would be right. I need to start stinkin by woods up right now for a late September opening day. If I stay diligent in doing so, I should be able to kill all the doe I need between Noon and 3:00 in the afternoon.

I guess I need to hunt less and watch more TV hunting shows and read magazines if I am ever to reach my potential as a bowhunter. With that, gotta go....there is a hunting show about to start on the Outdoor Channel.

Old 06-29-2008, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jmbuckhunter

Do you think if you walked thru your deer hunting woodsevery day, the deer would get used to you and tolerate your presence during the season?
It might not last very long, once they figure out you are now a hunter instead of a visitor. But would it be worth it? Maybe a sneak attack right out of the box and you would know where they were from seeing them on your strolls.

I don't think I'll be tyrying it in my woods. But could it work instead of staying out of the woods until the season starts and then polluting the woods with your scent and running them out?
When I built my cabin up north I almost lived with the deer. The younger ones got used to me and got almost tame. The older bucks stayed away.
One evening I needed a doe for earn a buck and I was shooting nails from my paslode gun. It,s gas fired and sounds like a gun going off. I put it away and walked out back and killed a doe about 10 min. after firing the last nail.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'll say this on the subject. I do believe a given deer knows the difference between being hunted/persued (a threat)and just being ocasionally bothered.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't believe there is a simple answer to this question or if there is the simple part has to do with older bucks.My belief is an older buck is far less likely to become aclimated to human intrusion.An older buck that lives in suburbia will likely tolerate more residual human odor than a big woods deer will.I do believe though that the suburban buck will change his patterns of activity to take him to a place where he isn't intruded upon,additionally I believe that he will become much more nocturnal if he continue's to use the area where he was intruded upon.
Doe's on the other hand seem to become much more easily aclimated.I have witnessed there tolerance of me many times over the years.Our home is in close proximity to a mountain and to fields,the local herd get's a snoot full of me all year round,in my yard,many walks on the mountain etc..I have kicked up doe's in the rifle hunting season only to have them run a short distance and turn and look at me,while I would like to credit my stealth,I think it is far more likely they are saying that is the guy who can't hitthe broad side of a barnwhen he is practicing with his bow.Come here Eleanor look at the guy who can't hitthe broad side of a barnwith his bow.Oh my god he is carrying a rifle run for your life!
I really believe that they are more tolerant of my odor because they have smelled it very often through out the course of their life.
While it seems possible that a mature buck may become aclimated to being continuously subjected to our odor,I would be erring to the side of not doing any thing to alert them to our presence,the key word being alert.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt an area that alot of people walk the area. It helps during hunting season because the deer are concerned about the areas the poeple normally walk not where I am so it works out great for me!