Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Most Trusted Names >

Most Trusted Names

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Most Trusted Names

Old 06-27-2008, 06:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Most Trusted Names

John Eberhart
Joe Brooks
Don Higgins(thx Justin)

When Gregh writes one, HIS[8D]
Old 06-27-2008, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bill Winke is one of the few writers who actually kills big bucks year in and year out. A lot of them are just fluffers who go on an outfitted hunt so they can have a picture of a deer to put in their article with the caption "The author killed this buck by using the miraculous tip contained in Justin's signature". Winke on the other hand, could hunt circles around most other "experts".

John Ozoga know his stuff when it comes to whitetail deer. No doubt about it, he is THE authority I would turn to for factual/scientific information.

My third choice is going to be a tie between Alsheimer and Gordon Whittington. Alsheimer's studies on how the moon effets deer movement are wonderful, and Whittington has a the best "Hey, you're all a bunch of morons and your'e screwing up our deer herds" no-nonsense attitude of any biologist out there. I'm a fan of both those guys.

A notable mention goes to Don Higgins. I'm not a big fan of everything he writes, but he does have some good stuff every once in awhile. His video though........I won't even go there. Let's suffice it to say "not so good".
Old 06-27-2008, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gene and Barry Wensel have written some things that many would benefit from.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm going with Gorden Wittington. He's been around the big boys for a long time. RESPECT!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Joe Brooks book taught me more than any, so far. When I read it.....I'd have sworn he was talking about my woods on several occasions.

Alzheimer is a wealth of knowledge on all things "deer". What I learn from him helps me"understand" why they do what they do...when and where they do it.

I look forward to reading some of both Higgins and Eberhart's works....and trying to apply them to new areas. I've heard nothing but good things about these guys.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Obviously - I wouldn't put much stock in authors that haven't hunted much in Northern New England.
THIS does not mean that they are not any good, as I enjoy the style and examples of say Bill Winke.
My take is soley this, I don't "crop" hunt because it's not really available in my area.

There are certainly great authors / hunters all over the USA and beyond, but this is a personal question in this post.

So here you go...
So for my region NH / ME / VT - I have had a "connection" with the styles of the Benoits and Hal Blood (not as well known).

Old 06-27-2008, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Trad Barta [&:][8D]
Old 06-27-2008, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

John Eberhart
Leonard Lee Rue
Charles Alsheimer

Honorable mention: Terry Townsend
Old 06-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Fork Horn

Wensel brothers for sure. These guys know how to hunt whitetails!
Old 06-27-2008, 07:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bloodcreek

Trad Barta [&:][8D]
I think it's Tred.

Quick Reply: Most Trusted Names

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.