Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many does?

Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many does?

Just curious as to how many does everyone takes off their property (if you practice a healthy doe harvest)? I'd love to hear the average number of does everyone harvests annually along with the acreage of your hunting property.

Obviously it wouldn't be a wise idea to harvest 20 does consistently off a 30 acre woodlot.

On our farm, we own 265 acres and shoot for 7-9 does per year. Mind you, our adjoining landowners also practice QDM and remove a healthy number of does as well.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many does?

own 2000 acres and shoot around 40 to 50 does a year
Old 06-26-2008, 09:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 200 acres and I usually take two or three does a year. I'll occasionally bring someone with me and encourage them to take a doe, butnobody else has killed a doe on my property in the past few years. My hunting partner didn't hunt much at all last year, so he didn't help take any does. We are going to try and take four or five this year.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here at home, I'm the primary hunter (ususally have the woods to myself except during rifle season), and I usually take one doe a year on our 90 acres. Our cabin takes about 5-6 on a 1200acre spread (granted deer density is much lower here).
Old 06-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Between known auto kill off and known hunter kills.....I believe31 were removedoff the 2.28 sq. mi. area I call the "triangle", here.

We had a goal of 8 to take off the lands I have access to....and we took 8 (by hunter). Several more were confirmed dead off these same woods, though the exact number eludes me, right now. I'm fairly confident of the 31 (known)total, though, and I'm sure there were others.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

I can only kill 3 in khy and most years i'm able to do that with archery equipment. I also encourage anyone I take to harvest a doe if given the oppurtunity. Total between all the properties I hunt, we kill around 10 each year. Thats around 1000 acres in several small farms.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:48 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-27-2008, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Steven McBee

own 2000 acres and shoot around 40 to 50 does a year
WOW..... I wanna hunt YOUR place!!! 2,000 acres that you OWN.... that would be awesome!
Old 06-27-2008, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Regardless the size on the properties I hunt, we generally try to take atleast 4 or 5 Does for every buck taken. This ratio seems to work extremely well for us on farms ranging from 40 to 400 acres.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I try to shoot 4-6 does a year, but that is typically spread over at least 3, sometimes 6 different hunting spots. My core hunting spot is ~100 acres and I take 2 from there, only because that’s all the tags I can get. Honestly, I wish I could take about 10, its very over populated. Between all the guys who hunt there, we used to take 8-12 off there. Now many of the guys are getting old and not putting up much effort, and we’d be lucky to get 5 a year there. The locals start driving the area in gun season, and then continue almost every day thru the late season. But no one (very few) shoots any does. They are all heavily focused on any legal buck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.