Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting mature bucks. >

Hunting mature bucks.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting mature bucks.

Old 06-26-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting mature bucks.

Do you think that there is a difference in the way that mature bucks are hunted? What I am saying is in your experience do older bucks say 3.5 an older act different from deer that areyoungerthan 3.5? Do you approach the older deer in a different way? Do you see fewer deer when you are hunting mature deer than you do when you are hunting anydeer? Do you feel like your are honed in more antry to be more careful when hunting mature deer? Comments areincouraged.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hunting mature bucks.

completely different animal, when they hit that 3.5 y.o. mark. JMO
Old 06-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely more tuned into everything around me. They are just much more reclusive, antisocial, smart, skittish, etc, etc.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

Not that hunting a mature 3.5 plus whitetail will mean you will see less deer as they tend to roam the same area. Just the 3.5 year old plus is more sensitive to human intrusions, scent, and move less than that of a deer say less than 3.5 years.

Old 06-26-2008, 07:30 PM
Site Buck Guru

Absolutely yes to all of your questions.
Old 06-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

after 3.5 years of age, that buck has had to escape many humans and is a completely different animal to hunt
Old 06-26-2008, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

For obvious reasons, yes. They are different animals where I hunt. Not many make it that long. The ones that do are super smart.

LT
Old 06-27-2008, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Who in the whitetail-world could possibly say that bucks, once they reach age 4 1/2, aren't anything less than a different species??? You might as well paint 'em a different color or call 'em by another name because they no longer are "normal" deer. Outside of a short breeding period, they don't even want annything to do with any other deer in the region. Eat, sleep and repeat with the only real goal.... survival. This should be an easy one-sided poll. lol!
Old 06-27-2008, 03:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I definitely agree with what every one else has said! The focus and precision necessary to consistently kill bucks in the older age classes is a whole different endeavor than younger deer.Especially so when there is considerable hunting pressure in the area's you hunt.How many times have we all heard about the big bucks that people capture on trail cams that they never lay their eye's on.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would even go as far as 2 1/2 year olds.
Once they get kicked away from home and settle into their new habitat,
they start to become a much more reclusive animal and thicker / swampier terrain tends to be their preffered hang-out spots from my experiences.

Of course there may be a bunch that may be dumb/curious deer and won't survive.
Keep in mind, they have to make it past 2 1/2 to get to 3 1/2!

Quick Reply: Hunting mature bucks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.