Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scents - what do you use? >

Scents - what do you use?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scents - what do you use?

Old 06-26-2008, 01:18 PM

Default Scents - what do you use?

I looked back through 16 pages or so and didn't find posts on this.

AT one point I had pretty good response out of a bottle of Code Blue Estrus but subsequent bottles were underwhelming.

Anybody have preferences onspecific brands they use for doe in heat or dominant buck scent?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scents - what do you use?

many years ago I studied both scents and calling. I dedicated a whole rut season to it. I used tinks 69 (it was the rage back then). I NEVER got a buck to come to it. I did have success with calling. BTW I never did both on the same trip. I wanted to seperate the calling from the scents.

I have a friend who claims to have great success with scents. I don't know what he uses. sorry.

My problem with scents is that the deer has to be down wind for it to work unless you use a drag. If the deer smells your scents he will most likely smell you?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

many years ago I studied both scents and calling. I dedicated a whole rut season to it. I used tinks 69 (it was the rage back then). I NEVER got a buck to come to it. I did have success with calling. BTW I never did both on the same trip. I wanted to seperate the calling from the scents.

I have a friend who claims to have great success with scents. I don't know what he uses. sorry.

My problem with scents is that the deer has to be down wind for it to work unless you use a drag. If the deer smells your scents he will most likely smell you?
I'm the same way Magic.... I've messed with everything. And honestly I've never EVER had a positive result using them. There have been times where I've shot does that I think didn't smell them, or else just didn't care.. but I've never had a deer come in and known that it was drawn to any of the scents I've put out.

To answer the question directly though.... I've tried a lot of the code blue stuff and Special Golden Estrous extensively.... maybe I'm just snake bit.

I'm going to get a few different things and put out some trail cams starting in September (assuming I find a place to do so), and I'm going to really bomb the place with scent and see what kinda results I get. I hated science projects in school... now here I am 4 years out of college and I'm spending a ton of my own money to undertake them on my own accord....
Old 06-26-2008, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Common Sense

Actually I try to remain as scent free as possible. No commercial scents at all. Maybe a tarsal gland from a freshly killed deer, but that's it.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer scents worked to attract smaller / curious bucks for me, nothing with the x-mas tree on it's head and that I'm looking for.
To me it's a waste of money and stopped buying them a few years ago.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer as little scent as possible.

You may like the smell of Tommy Girl, but if someone dumps a bottle in your living room you are going to notice it ASAP.

Beingon Alert is not always a Good thing!

Dan
Old 06-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't use attractants at all! I just use Scent Killer non-scented formula.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

No scents, no scent reducing sprays either. I just try to put myself in their home-range, the rest is up to you.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I believe a deers' sense of smell is beyond our comprehension. I believe a deer has many scent glands and even body odor. A deer can tell that there is some scent and that some is missing. I believe to be sucessful with scents you would have to somehow incorporate ALL the scents that a deer produces into a scent. If their nose is like our eyes, It would be like us seeing only half of a persons body. It could even alarm them.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

I use scent occasionally. Usually when I want to distract the deer. Like when the wind is not 100% in my favor. (which it rarely is) This worksfairlywell for me.

This past season I was up in a tree over looking a well worn trail on a field edge when the wind switched directions on me. I was basically SOL. It was either deal with the bad wind or drive an hour and go back home. I took some doe estrus scent out of my pack and dribbled it down the tree I was in. Not at all the ideal way to use scent. [:-]

Sure enough, a buckpops into view coming in so that he would soon be directly downwind of me. Right as he gets downwind he stops on a dime and tosses his nose in the air. 'Busted' I said to myself. Instead the buck comes in directly to the base of my tree, sniffing the whole way. At the base of my tree he either caught my scent or caught my movement. (I have such a stealthy draw. [&o]) He runs back the way he came and stops about 30 yards out. Throws his nose in the air again and comes right back in. I killed him that time.

On public land I strongly recommend staying away from popular scents. I think they work against you. (I suppose you could make them work for you by putting them on areas you don't want the deer to go) I have seen areas where there are literally a dozen scent wicks hanging in the branches near somebodies spot on public land.

For what it's worth I useTimber Valley Fresh Scent.

Quick Reply: Scents - what do you use?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.