Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 fletcthing for aluminium arrows >

fletcthing for aluminium arrows

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fletcthing for aluminium arrows

Old 06-25-2008, 06:06 PM

Default fletcthing for aluminium arrows

i need to refletch my arrows and i was wondering if i can use vanes or do i have to use feathers.all my arrows are aluminium and i cant afford carbon and my rest is to big for carbon.any seggestions on fletching brands would be muchly appericated,

.243win
Old 06-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: fletcthing for aluminium arrows

You can use vanes. Bohning makes some that are good. (Not the blazers, they are good for carbon, but not great for aluminum. Duravane also makes good vanes.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I refletch my aluminums with plastic vanes all the time. Prepping the shaft is the most important aspect though. I use a very fine grade steel wool and take a clean dry cloth to wipe it off with. Don't clean the bottom of the vane with anything! Use AAE FAST SET GEL!!
Old 06-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. Fletch up 2 or 3 with 4 or 5 inch vanes and see if you are happy with the arrow flight, especially with broadheads. Field points fly with most anything if your bow is tuned. You might find feathers stabilize your arrow/broadhead combinationbetter. You'll never know til you try, but 3 arrows are easier to refletch than a dozen if you need/want to.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can more than likely get by with whatever you wanna shoot. Fletch a couple and try them for a while. It's the perfect time of year for that.

I have a couple of Buddies that are shooting 22 series aluminum shafts. One is using Razrs, and the other fletches his with Blazers.They both seem to be working OK.

I myself seem to be going the other route. I'm switching to 4" feathers this year for a little more control.

Dan
Old 06-25-2008, 10:05 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: early in

I refletch my aluminums with plastic vanes all the time. Prepping the shaft is the most important aspect though. I use a very fine grade steel wool and take a clean dry cloth to wipe it off with. Don't clean the bottom of the vane with anything! Use AAE FAST SET GEL!!

Good idea. get some 70% rubbing alcohol and wipe the shaft down to get a good adhesion with the glue
Old 06-26-2008, 05:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer feathers over plastic.
Old 06-26-2008, 02:04 PM

You can use any type of fletching on aluminums you want. By the way I have blazers on 2213's and they work great, why wouldn't they work with an aluminum? Your going to have to explain that one to me.

The type of fletch you use is going to be more dependent on your shooting style and rest choice. If you are shooting a rest with no contact issues then vanes are fine, as long as you don't use a lot of helical. If you have contact problems with the rest or shelf then feathers would be needed because of the forgiveness. Like shooting a long bow off the shelf would not work very well with vanes, and some rests for finger shooting are hard to use with vanes.

Paul
Old 06-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

im useing 2514 xx78 alloys and the bohning blazers work great
Old 06-26-2008, 02:51 PM

yall that use blazers what size are you useing.

.243win

Quick Reply: fletcthing for aluminium arrows

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.