Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tomorrow will be a hard, sad day >

Tomorrow will be a hard, sad day

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tomorrow will be a hard, sad day

Old 06-25-2008, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Tomorrow will be a hard, sad day

My dog has been battling cancer for the last 3 months. It has been fast moving, taking his back left leg and now working on the right front. My wife and I made the decision today to take him in tomorrow and have him put down. He has been a part of the family for 12 years. I don't think there is anyway that I can be with him when they do it. Will I regret not being there?
Old 06-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 06-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tomorrow will be a hard, sad day

ron....

I was there when we put my 9.5 yr old lab down...day after Christmas, '06. It was one of the hardest things I've ever done. I knew it was imminent....and I dug her gravethe day before. I took her for a ride in the truck......a good long one....on the way....and I was there when the vet administered the shot. A grown man.......crying like achild (right along with my vet).

It was peaceful......and I couldn't have NOT been there.

I don't know you from Adam.....but I hate you're having to go through this. God bless.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh man I hate this part of having a dog!! I've had to put down 2 dogs, both times I did it myself. It was one of the toughest things I've ever done. I too cried like a baby but thats what happens when you love someone or something.

You got to be there for your dog when this goes down, trust me you will regret it if your not. As I'm typing this it brings back the time when I did this very thing, it brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it. Do what you think is right I guess.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

i had to put my golden down several years ago, seems like yesterday though[&o], but go and know your doing the right thing, very peaceful, i still remeber "dusty" looking up at me as to say thanks for all you have done and taking the suffering away, very peaceful, i still miss her, how could you not after almost 17 years, they'll never be another dog to replace her, she was unique, oh yea we have others now but she'll never be replaced, but always remembered

also found this that may help
DOGS DON'T HAVE SOULS, DO THEY?
I remember bringing you home. You were so small and cuddly with your tiny paws and soft fur. You bounced around the room with eyes flashing and ears flopping. Once in a while, you'd let out a little yelp just to let me know this was your territory.
Making a mess of the house and chewing on everything in sight became a passion and when I scolded you, you just put your head down and looked up at me with those innocent eyes as if to say: "I'm sorry, but I'll do it again as soon as you're not watching."
As you got older, you protected me by looking out the window and barking at everyone who walked by. When I had a tough day at work, you would be waiting for me with your tail wagging just to say, "Welcome home. I missed you." You never had a bad day and I could always count on you to be there for me.
When I sat down to read the paper and watch TV, you would hop on my lap looking for attention. You never asked for anything more than to have me pat your head so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.
As you got older, you moved around more slowly. Then one day, old age finally took its toll, and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore. I knelt down and patted you lying there, trying to make you young again. You just looked up at me as if to say you were old and tired and that after all these years of not asking for anything, you had to ask me to do one last favor.
With tears in my eyes, I drove you one last time to the vet. One last time you were lying next to me. For some strange reason you were able to stand up in the animal hospital - perhaps it was your sense of pride.
As the vet led you away, you stopped for an instant, turned your head and looked at me as if to say: "Thank you for taking care of me."
I thought, "No - thank YOU for taking care of ME."

Old 06-25-2008, 08:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I send all of my dogs to the rainbow bridge on a river of my tears. I want them to know we will run the woods together again.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...

Old 06-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

man i also had to put my retriever down in 06. that was absolutely terrible and i dont know if i want to get another dog for that reason. he had gotten attacked by 2 rottwheilers and had been paralyzed from the ''waist'' down. im sorry you have to go through this but you will regret it if your not there
Old 06-25-2008, 08:13 AM

I agree, you need to be there.

One of the hardest things you will ever do

I've been there

Go ahead and cry
Old 06-25-2008, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

It certainly is tough, but not only would I be there, I would do it myself. I have put down my NewFoundland "Bear" and my lab "Chelsea". Bear was so sick that I just pet him and talked calmly to him, put the muzzle to the back of his head and ended it. Chelsea's legs gave out so I gave her a big plate of good food and as she ate it happily I ended it. It is more for the dog than for you. They know you and so you can help keep them calm before it happens.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:22 AM
Dominant Buck

I don't care if anyone thinks this is corny, or anything else....but there's aJT song that I thought of when I put Ashley down...

"Well the sun is surely sinking down
But the moon is slowly risin'
So this old world must still be spinnin' 'round
And I still love you.

So close your eyes.
You can close your eyes.
It's alright."

Quick Reply: Tomorrow will be a hard, sad day

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.