Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Big buck contests at local archery shops >

Big buck contests at local archery shops

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big buck contests at local archery shops

Old 06-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Big buck contests at local archery shops

How many of you guys enjoy dropping by your local archery shop for the sole reason of checking out what's beenbrought in so far? My local shop has a huge picture wall -- sort of a "Hall of Fame" wall -- where anyone can bring field pics by and he'll pin 'em up for all to see.

Old 06-23-2008, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Big buck contests at local archery shops

Our Wal-mart does that...lol

We also have, and I remember from being little, a little convience store, the local sheck station. Where i would go with my dad after a day of unsuccessful hunting and look at what other people had killed and go inside to see a door covered in Kill pics, where My pic had been posted from time to time with my first deer and such. Really a neat thing, but it's all in the past. I'll be surprised if that store will be there this year. They already stopped selling gas and nobody's ever there anymore. You know, It may actually already be closed.... i have no idea.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's one of the reasons I am a regular visitor at my friends Taxidermy shop. To see what has been brought in, and from where.

Plus it's fun to hear all of the stories. Some arebelievable, some are not!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I enjoy doing that as well. There's always a few monsters that are shot that you never hear about unless you stop by and check out the pics. Sometimes its surprising as heck to see some of the hunters that you know with big bucks!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much every gas station outside of town has a "wall of fame" each season... it's pretty cool to see all the deer coming out of your area. We have a fairly local shop that has a largest doe and buck contest every year, but I hate the shop and refuse to go there...
Old 06-23-2008, 11:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

A good friend of mine, from H.S. his parents own the local gas station/hunting shop. They do an annual big buck contest, bow, rifle, muzzleloader, shot gun, you name it; all in one contest. For1 $ you sign up and have a chance to win a new rifle. I always sign up and enjoy stopping in to see what is coming in and from what counties etc. Good fun. I like tokeep close tabs on the exact dates the old big bucks start dieing.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

i like doing it
thats another reason i loved check stations here in missouri. but now were telecheck
Old 06-24-2008, 06:49 AM
Bartender

We have a little grocery store in Elton, Wi that gives away a gun. You have to shoot a buck to enter
but I have not won yet.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I live for hunting contests. I'm ultra-competitive in everything I do - so these just pour gas on the fire. They're big business around here, but only see about 10-20% success rate, on average. I've won, placed or showed in the bow contests a couple times - usually with deer that guys in the midwest wouldn't give a second look. Much tougher competition in the turkey contests, to be honest.

Old 06-24-2008, 08:25 AM

There are several places in the area I really enjoy stopping and looking. One of the local taxidermys gets all the bow only countys deer...some real monsters every year in there..It always makes me kick myself for not spending enough time in those area's...

Quick Reply: Big buck contests at local archery shops

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.