Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

less is more???

Old 06-23-2008, 06:37 PM

Default less is more???

Many of you know that my hunting style is unorthodox. I don't scout in the "off " season, I usually go in a week before the season starts and find what I need, now, it does help that I have been hunting the same place for 20 yrs, but still, I don't walk in the woods much unless Im going hunting. Even with my new lease last year, I scouted once before the season, but didn't see much. The next two trips in were to hunt and I came out with two nice bucks. What Im saying is, I believe the less Im in the woods before the season the better my chances are of seeing deer. Remember, I scout with my bow and tree stand in hand 95% of the time. Would I see better results if I were in the woods in May-Sept?

These are the two bucks I took with the first two trips in my new lease... Just thought Id share, but I will need to hol out next year for better ones!!

Old 06-23-2008, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: less is more???

Landon, your hunting style isn't unorthodox at all! In fact that's almost EXACTY how I handle my hunting area. I've been hunting my area for about 6-7 years, and I pretty much know all that I need to know aboutit.
I'll go in and set my trail cam up in Aug/Sept to get an idea of what kind of talent I've got running around. I may clear a branch or so from a couple of shooting lanes, but that's about it. I only check my cam once every two weeks, so as not to disrupt the area too much. Less is more better!!
Old 06-23-2008, 06:55 PM
Typical Buck

I too don't scout much during the off season because like you I have hunted the same area for over 20 years.My favorite time toscout is after season closes and the deer have came out of hiding and started moving more.Would you have better luck scouting more during the off season?NO not in the places that you have hunted for that long,the less time in the woods the better if you know the area and the deer in our woods you should only be going to and from your stand sites,now if it is a new area,espeacilly big woods alot of offseason scouting could pay big dividends.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think your making the right decision to keep away until season. I think your success proves it.

I could borrow you some hair if you want
Old 06-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I think your making the right decision to keep away until season. I think your success proves it.

LMAO!!!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: early in

Landon, your hunting style isn't unorthodox at all! In fact that's almost EXACTLY how I handle my hunting area. I've been hunting my area for about 6-7 years, and I pretty much know all that I need to know aboutit.
I'll go in and set my trail cam up in Aug/Sept to get an idea of what kind of talent I've got running around. I may clear a branch or so from a couple of shooting lanes, but that's about it. I only check my cam once every two weeks, so as not to disrupt the area too much. Less is more better!!
I agree Jeff. I usually won't do any scouting until about the 2nd week of October. Less disturbance the better is how I look at it. Stay with what works for you Vab!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

HAHAHAHAHAH.....friggin Magic....Gosh darn comedian! LMAO....

Yep....stay away.....but in September I like to stay off about 200 yards and glass the bucks and watch their travel patterns into the woods to my stand areas...if you have open field areas its not a bad gig..
Old 06-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Hell we've got guys who seemingly spend every free moment of their off-seasonscouting out a 12 acre woodlot.....hanging and checking trail cams in there.......so I don't know what to think.[8D]

I haven't been in the woods I hunt, since the last time I turkey hunted.....and I won't go back in there until October (that spot). "I" think that deer don't care WHO, WHY or WHEN you're in their bedroom......but they DO care that someone's there.

I think you're doing the right thing. Less is INDEED "More". The smartest thing to do (in most situations, I'd bet) is to STAY THE HELL OUT OF THE WOODS IF YOU'RE NOT HUNTING.

If you disagree......good for you.Do it your way
Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

LMAO!!!!!
That is funny as hell!! Lmfao!!!
Old 06-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

LMAO!!!!!
That is funny as hell!! Lmfao!!!
Schultzy, I'm still laughing about that one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.